Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical tire problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bodymanmp, Nov 12, 2018.

1. bodymanmp

bodymanmp

having trouble getting my bf goodrich tires seated on my 10 inch hilldbrand wheels,
    285-70-15 tires are new and i even took to a tire installer and they could not get air in them on the tire machine ! i tried the either method but did not work,i know the tires will work on these rims as i had the same setup back in the 90's,any suggestions??

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try putting a ratchet strap around the tread, tighten it until the sidewalls seal at the rim . Always worked for me.

clem, curbspeed, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

One trick I used was putting a strap around the middle of the tire on the tread and tighten the hell out of it to push the tire against the rim, I also remove the valve stem core and use a high pressure air blower pushed down into the valve stem.

Tighten strap, pull trigger on the air blower with 125psi and never had any problems getting it to work. Did have to wiggle the tire around on the rim a couple times.

4. bodymanmp

bodymanmp

i actually did both of these things and it didnt help,it seems like the wrap on the tires was tight and brought both beads together,right now i took the front bead off the rim and put 4 pieces of wood between the bead and the wheel to stretch it ,going to let it set a couple of days and see what happens

steves29 and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Now mind you I’m not telling you to do this, in fact I would recommend against it....but..... back in the day when we were young and indestructible, we would take the core out hook up an air hose blowing air into the tire. Then we would spray starting fluid in the tire and throw a match to it. Believe it or not! Saw it work a hundred times. It’s a wonder we’re still here! Lol

Bones

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    loudbang, Elcohaulic, RMONTY and 9 others like this.
  6. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Ether always works. Spray a little in tire and make you a little trail away from tire so that you dont have to get your fingers to close. Light it up. Just use a little, it doesn't take much. Watch you tube videos on it. My brother has a tire shop and we've done it many times.

chryslerfan55 and F&J like this.
  7. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

more either

chryslerfan55 and Baumi like this.
  8. 59Tele

59Tele

Yep, works like a champ. Fun, too.

slim38, chryslerfan55 and F&J like this.
  9. town sedan

town sedan

Stay away from the flammables, please.
    In our shop we have an air blaster to inflate stubborn non bead sealing tires. It looks like a 5 gallon air tank and will empty it's compressed contents into the tire in about half a heart beat. Almost always works. Most tire shops have such a tool.
    -Dave

10. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

Couple options. Air blaster, you'll have to check a local tire shop. Or put a tube in it to seat the beads, then break down one side of the tire and remove the tube. Last option is to find a shop that has a hard rubber tube that goes over the rim to take up the excess space and seals up the bead on one side while you inflate the hard rubber tube will slide off.

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I agree with town Sedan, but cover your ears when you use that blaster, it’s loud. It works though, most of the time.

Bones

12. slowmotion

slowmotion

I've witnessed the ether trick several times, never seen it fail. Never had need to do it, gladly. Too much juice and shit can get ugly real fast.:eek:

13. town sedan

town sedan

Ever feel like saying something you know will annoy people?
    Ether has only one use and that's for starting engines you don't give a damn about.
    Rant over,
    -Dave

Boneyard51, slayer and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. robracer1

robracer1

Had the same problem with the same BFG size and 10" rim, got them from Discount tire and they said on problem we can mount them well after a hour trying to install them they gave up, gave me a little money back and sent me to tire shop that installs all types of tires, race tires, blink blink tires and exotic sports car tires.
    They mounted them in about 20 minutes with there equipment, I suggest calling around for specialty type tire shops.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    town sedan and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. the last time i had trouble filling a tire, i cut 2x4s wider than the rim and stuck them in the bead of the tire and because it was winter i set them on the floor of my shop [radiant heat] with a tarp over them over night. next day they mounted and blew up fine.

Bechtel 56, blowby and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. bodymanmp

bodymanmp

im doing that right now !

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have put tubes in the tires and with no rims just put air in them until the beads are good and wide leave them overnight and then remove the tubes and mount as normal. just need to stretch em out a little

18. 02B797E8-B941-4668-9E06-0C42D970DFA8.jpeg

At jag and Mercedes we had this. A tire cage and a foot operated air chuck that locked onto the valve stem and you stood about 5 feet away and pumped the tire up lubing the tire with tire paste instead of soap works better as well

Sometimes it took 150 psi to seat a bead !!!

First shop I worked at we did the either thing, works well, loud bang kinda scary as it can go sideways in a hurry, never did, always funny afterwards!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

This takes me back to the good old days. A lady brings her corvette in to have snow tires installed on the 10 inch wide rims. The tires were wrapped with paper. When the paper was removed, the beads were touching together. We put tubes in them for the winter.

20. NO ether! It can damage the liner of the tire. Find a real tire shop with one of these:
    CH-05_05_2016_web.jpg

21. We use a Cheetah on stubborn tires (even large truck). I've also see the fire trick.......scary as shit if it goes sideways.

***Edit: again I type too slow......

[​IMG]

town sedan likes this.
  22. bchctybob

bchctybob

I do what Moriarty said, mount them with a tube and take the tubes out later. Or just buy the correct size tubes and leave them in. There's nothing wrong with inner tubes. Summit has a million sizes of Carlisle inner tubes cheap.

clem and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

If you get stuck send me a PM. I can hook you up.

24. Use a air blaster like shown... or tire soap, fill the gap with the soap on the bead and air up
    41ObuRZMN2L._AC_US218_.jpg Super thick stuff but it works...……...

anothercarguy likes this.
  25. Ether is great for blowing the nose cone off starters...

egads likes this.
  26. If we had a stubborn tire in the shop, the old Coats machines had a sweet spot for where the air came up, dead center at 6 o'crotch, that's where we put the valve. As someone else mentioned, take the valve stem out. Shop supply air is good too, make sure the air chuck is in good shape first and the hose clamp is tight if you have one on the hose.

27. Used the starter fluid
    and a torch with a long neck. Scary but it works with a boom that will wake up the dead.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  28. In the trucking industry, we call that a “cheetah”. I gave up and bought one and never have anymore problems.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

We used one of those blasters called a " Cheetah" . We also used a type of grease around the bead on each side on big truck tires then hit the "Cheetah" . This was when I worked at the power company. Murphy's law will show up eventually and you will have to go the full 12 rounds with it.:D