Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tire pressure,Excelsior Stahl Radails

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whitewallwilly, Dec 7, 2019.

1. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

I have just fitted a set of Excelsior Stahl Radail tires to my Model A coupe,this has made a unbelievable improvement to the handling ,
    the car weighs around 2600 lbs,
    Running 6:50-16 on the front and 7:50-16 on the rear
    I can't find any tire pressure recommendations,so I'm asking if anyone running a similar deal,what pressure front and rear are you running

IMG_7790.jpg

Attached Files:

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  2. Ask who you bought them from........don't Coker do them?...........andyd

3. swifty

swifty

According to the Antique Tyres catalog-Aussie Dealer for Coker and others- your 6.50x16 are rated at 1580lbs@35psi and the 7.50x16 are rated at 2150@41psi. These are the design figures for your tires. I'm running American Classic radials on my 32 coupe which weighs 2850lb due to a very heavy Poly engine. They are rated about 400lbs less than the Excelsiors at 35psi and I run them at 30 psi. Try 30 and 35psi respectively and keep a close eye on tire wear- should be easy with no fenders LOL

4. gassa-garage

gassa-garage

Anyone try running these "tube type" radials without tubes ?

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know coker say 41 psi Due to heat build up. I cant imagine running 41 psi in a light highboy giving a very pleasant ride , we run ours at around 30 psi , still gives the old kidneys a decent shake up .

loudbang likes this.
  6. If the tires are rated @ 1500 pounds as mentioned, your curb weight is half that per tire (tyre :p ).
    You can air 'em up with low-ish pressure because at your weight, you won't get as much flex and heat build-up.
    I can't give you an exact pressure number because then I would be practicing engineering without a certification.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have mine mounted without tubes but haven’t run them yet.

I know there are plenty of guys running them without tubes.

The rolling bones guys run them without tubes if my source of information is correct.
    And they run their cars hard and long distances too.

loudbang likes this.
  8. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I have 5.00x16 Excelsiors on the front of my A Pickup and run those at 32psi. I have 7.00x16 rear Excelsiors and run those at 25psi. I have over 6,000 miles on them like that and there is no visible wear that would indicate that they are not properly inflated.

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  9. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Very similar setup, I'm running 26psi in the rear and 22psi up front.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I imagine coker classic bias look radial would be the same pressure as excelsior for a same size tyre.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One way to think about it is the percentage of the rated max that you have on each axle. Making up numbers, if your two tires on an axle are rated for a total max of 2000 lbs (1000 each) at 40 psi and your weight on the axle is 1200 lbs, you would put 1200/2000 = 60% of the max rated pressure in each tire, or 24 psi. Again, the concept is real, but I made up the numbers for the example. This method results in the proper tire footprint and wear based on the load. Use it on my 13,000 lb RV with good success.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Other brand radials and I run 25 lbs, check for overheating when ever I stop to stretch/use the can.

loudbang likes this.
  13. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I have a set on my Model A pick up hot rod. Right now I can't remember the pressure I run them at. But it's not much. I just start high and then start backing the pressure off until you can see the tire is using as much of the tread as possible. If you get too low the tire will start rolling over while cornering so you want to think about that. Also I usually have more pressure in the front than the back. Anyway, that's what I do. I think it helps the ride on light weight hot rods to do this.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Flamed48

Flamed48