Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tire Opinion Question: Redlines Vs. Wide O's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Muttley, Aug 21, 2007.

?

Redlines Vs. Wide O's

Poll closed Aug 24, 2007.
  1. Redlines

19 vote(s)
    59.4%
  2. Wide O's

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  1. Good choice - looks cool.

2. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Redlines were a good choice.

I put my 1/4"-wide 'redlines' on the rim, since the edge of the rim was in the right place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. twofosho

twofosho

The first high performance street tire (Goodyear Bluestreaks on the '65 GT 350 Shelby were actually a racing tire) WAS the Firestone Wide Oval. Released in the fall of 1965 as OEM on the '66 Fairlane GT and GTA, it was the first tire to offer a wide aspect ratio (F70) and raised (white) letters and was a belted bias. I suspect it was the contract with Ford that allowed even as large a company as Firestone was at the time to gamble on bringing something out as radical in concept, compared to it's competition's contemporary products. And as a car crazy high school kid working part time in a Ford garage, I can tell you it stunned everybody because it did seem so radical at the time. The Poliglas GT was Goodyears catchup answer and it took a while for them to bring it to market. I know they hadn't been on the market very long when my 2+2 (Pontiac) convertible got a set (redlines as a matter of fact) in 1969. Before the Wide Oval came to the aftermarket (I think Ford had an exclusive on it the first year), the tire of choice for most enthusiasts was the U S Royal Master. I lived through this era and I'm relying on memory, but I think I've got the facts right.

4. bonesy

bonesy

Nice choice.

5. Saubo Nasty

Saubo Nasty

6. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I wish someone would repop these!

7. The Rocketeer

The Rocketeer

The econoline looks great with that redline tire/wheel combo !!! just add blue flakes all over that ford,drop it-..... and there you go !!:)