Register now to get rid of these ads!

tire help-leaving for HCPU Friday morning!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jasonp, Oct 7, 2010.

1. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

Had new valve stems put in and wheels and tires balanced, charged me an arm and a leg, got home and realized 3 out of 4 tires don't seemed to be seated on the rim all the way and the place that did it refuses to touch it again because its "vintage", or give me my money back, anyone out there that can help??? I'm supposed to leave in the morning for Hunnert!!

2. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

I work in Westmont,IL, live near Aurora/Naperville area. Anywhere around those areas will work. Thanks

3. alchemy

alchemy

Sounds like you need to talk with your credit card company or bank to cancel the payment. Then call the local BBB or Chamber of Commerce.

4. it is possible for the tire to hold air without the bead being fully seated. sometimes it is necessary to over inflate the tire to seat the bead. what type of rim and tire is it, tube or tubeless? it may just take adding air to the tire to fully seat the bead, once the bead seats you can set the pressure back to spec. BE CAREFUL, of course excessive pressure can be dangerous. if you don't have much experience with this, find someone who does.

5. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

15" GM wheels with tubeless radial tires, not bias-ply

6. should be an easy fix. the tire and rim combo is pretty standard. it's sad that the shop considered them "vintage".

7. I'd go back to the tire store and explain to them that they did an improper job on a safety related item and that they either need to fix their shoddy work or refund your money as they probably don't want a law suit and the related bad press when one of those tires blows off the rim causing an accident because of their nonfeasance. if you paid with a credit card, as suggested above register a complaint with the CC company and do a charge back. That will get their attention.

If that isn't in the cards, then, If the tires are new and in good condition, try putting soapy water around the bead area and then inflating to a higher pressure and see if you can get them to "POP" all the way on the wheel.

8. agreed, sending a tire out the door that is not fully seated nomatter what the application is VERY hack and dangerous. they did not do their job.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

10. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Take them off the car and go anywhere else, off the car they are not vintage anymore, just tires and rims like any other vehicle has, guy never saw a 15" GM rim and a white wall? Big deal they may be painted, can't mount a radial on a 15" steelie? See if you have a Cassidy Tire by you or a small full service repair shop and get a refund from the incompetents. They should not have let you roll out on those, very ignorant.

11. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

Does anyone in the area work at a tire shop??????

12. Dude, just let some air out and re-seat them. It isn't hard.

13. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

With no air compressor and a 3/4 car garage its a little difficult, which is why it went somewhere else in the first place

14. Gotta be a gas station or convenience store with an air hose!?

15. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

I'll give it a try tonight, I'll have to leave them on the car though, I don't think I could fit one in the back of the Mini Cooper...

16. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

like tman said, find a gas station. over inflate them a bit put them on the car and drive it around the block the tire will pop in place then let some air out.

17. brad chevy

brad chevy

Post some pictures,what makes you think they aren"t on right,I could see them fucking up one but not 3 of em.

18. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

If I can actually get a good picture, I'll post some tonight

19. Before you add more air. make up a heavy soap and water solution and pour in the bead area, not a whole lot, just enough to coat tire and rim. Take it for a ride around the block twice, once clockwise and another counterclockwise. The soap and water will act as a lubricant and hopefully when you pull back in the driveway they should have popped. Then just wash off the soap.

If that does not work take em back to the tire shop, or find a Vintage tire shop, someone who knows what they are doing.