Register now to get rid of these ads!

tire flat spot prevention

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusty Heaps, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Who has inexpensive products for preventing flat spots on your car's tires when in storage? Eckler's has a plastic product you drive your car over, but they want $270 for the 4 piece set. Seems a little pricey to me. Any others out there for less? Other suggestions?:confused:

2. Lurk king

Lurk king

How about jack stands?

3. atomickustom

atomickustom

4. Jackstands would probably do it. Blocks, if you're cheap and don't intend to go under the car.

5. Exactly ^^, that is what we used to do to anything that was going to be parked for a month or more. I think in the good old days we may have been a little more industrius.

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If you don't want to use stands, park it in a place where you can roll it back and forth 8-10 feet from one end of the space to the other. Then move it a little every week or so, to ensure it doesn't sit in one spot for too long. But if you aren't going to drive it for a long time, why not jack stands? Gary

7. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Turn it over on it's roof for storage, no wait, that won't work.

8. It will if its not a roadster. :)

9. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

jack stands may be for the best,
    as during your down time, you might wipe / work on the BEAST.
    one never knows when one might feel the need to get under Her:eek:

:cool:

and it relaxes your springs ( and that's a good thing )

10. tpw35

tpw35

11. HeHe...jack it up and turn the wheels a quarter turn every now and then..flatting don't happen overnite.

12. Weasel

Weasel

13. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

they only get flat on the bottom!, haha yeah lame joke i know, but small jack stands do the trick, i put all my stuff on stands for the winter, or put them on junk old roller tires and wheels and put the good shit in the basement....

14. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

15. i clicked on your link henryj1951 and it takes me to the harbor freight site but not to a particular item. the ramps on ebay are supposed to be soft so your tire sink in to them a bit. and they don't conduct heat or cold. i dont know if they are good or not i was woundering if anybody else has used them.

16. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

ya linkie no workie so ...when u go there search dolly and it should show up
    and there 39bucks and i use some ... so far so good but not 2hundered
    sheckles worth on the b bay

17. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Jack stands are not a good idea over long periods. It keeps any rubber bushings in a twisted position which damages them. This is a big no-no on an early Vette with the independent rear

18. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

How does HF dollies differ from just sitting on ground? Drive it occasionally.

clem likes this.
  19. Ha, When I was in highschool I had an old ford that we put walnut shell tires on the rear for driving in the snow. After a cold night the tires would bump for the first mlle or two at least until they got warm and round again. :D

They used to know that bias ply nylon tires would get flatten with times of no use but they used to say that you lifted them off the ground to keep them from rotting. Maybe that was left over from earlier tires and the rubber coumpounds that they used.

20. 61falcon

61falcon

YEP, thats what i do. pull it out of the garage into the driveway a few times over the winter months once the roads get salty. That is if the OP can access the car once its stored away.

21. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

You mean you don't drive your roadster in the winter? :D

22. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Just start the car up, pull it forward until the front bumper touches the back wall of the garage, and light 'em up! After two or 3 minutes of a good ol' fashion burnout, No more flat spot. Now, rotate your tires and repeat. CAUTION!!!! Do not attempt this while the wife is entertaining her snooty friends, they never seem to understand.

23. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

You'll be OK if you place the jackstands on the suspension and not the frame. The suspension is still "loaded" just no weight on the tires.

24. Model T1

Model T1

Be my luck the tires would grip and i'd go through the front of the garage. I suppose the tires would still be round.
    How's a "Horrible Fart" dolly gonna keep a tire from getting a flat spot while sitting on the dolly? Use cheap jack stands if not planning on working under the car. Or take the wheels off and store them in the living room. Makes good chairs for company during holidays.

25. Leakie

Leakie

Cut up a sheet of that foam type insulation, the 4x8 sheets. Cut the pieces in 1 foot squares and then jack the car up and slide the foam underneath the tire and set it back down or just drive on them. I have used the insulation board or just chunks of packing foam before. I have had cars on them for up to six months with no flat spots.

26. Sorry,I'm late to the party but that's the first thing that went through my mind.:D HRP

27. atomickustom

atomickustom

Why are there so many posts on this thread? The only options were given long ago: move the car, put a ton of air in them, jack the tires off the floor, rest them on something curved (like the dollies I linked to, see below), or don't let it sit very long. I'm guessing the "drive it" guys don't live in the snow belt?

But now I have to add one more reply to explain how the H.F. dollies will keep the tires from getting a flat spot: because they are CURVED, that's why. Personally I'd have looked at the photo in the link before throwing that one out.

And yes, putting the jackstands under the SUSPENSION, not the frame, will prevent bushing and shock damage.

Good lord, people, this is a simple problem with a few simple answers.

(Yes, I am feeling cranky today. I have a baby at home and he is trying to kill me via sleep deprivation.)

28. Model T1

Model T1

Sorry. Raising kids is a full time job. It'll make ya tough and proud. You can sleep after they get out of college.
    H.F. dollies will keep the tires from getting a flat spot: because they are CURVED,
    As for those dollies I still can't see how this will keep tires from getting flat spots. They are still sitting on their bottoms, just spread out a little more. Kinda like us.
    I lived in Illinois and tried to at least drive up and down the drive way when it wasn't coverd with ice or snow. Other times just pushed it forward and then back a little in the garage. Also a chance to get away from the rugrat.

29. atomickustom

atomickustom

They are curved a lot, enough that the bottom of the tire isn't "flat" and enough that the weight of the car is spread out more than you'd think when they're on there. (I drive my car throughout the winter, but I stored my current project on those dollies to make it mobile and immediately noticed that the tires weren't bulging at the bottom when it was on there. Just a latent function of the shape they gave'em.)

I seriously believe my baby son wants me dead! My daughter (now 7) let us sleep much longer stretches every night. I think he figures he can have the shop, the cars, and all the tools with me out of the way!