Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tire Changer Problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gijoe985, Nov 23, 2016.

1. gijoe985

gijoe985

So, we got a new tire changer for our high school auto shop. Tried it out today and probably ruin a tire. It was a 17" wheel with a 65 aspect ratio. Not ridiculously low profile. When we went to put the last lip of the tire on to the rim it was just stop rotating and getting stuck. Eventually we tore the bead from it continuing to jam. We used plenty of lubrication.

Ideas? We may have a Les Schwab guy come out to help.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You have to insure the portion of the tire bead already on the rim drops below the rim's bead seat, and continues to do that as you rotate it. Pay particular attention to that. It sometimes can be done by hand, but wedging a tire spoon between the tire and rim may be necessary.

Ray

3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE

A lot of the newer machines have a foot that holds the opposite side down into the drop center.
    Don't get fingers in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Sounds like the bead didn't drop into the drop center of the rim all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. This pic really shows the drop center. I don't know what these guys are doing with the rim upside down. But just make sure the bead goes all the way in there.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

302GMC likes this.
  6. gijoe985

gijoe985

Ok, I'll see what I can do.

7. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers