Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical tire balance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robtlor, Sep 29, 2016.

1. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

Ok guys, I blew a tire on my avatar car, 39 plymouth. Tire was old, good tread but old. Old tire had @ 2 oz of weight on one side. New tire has what I believe is 165 oz on one spot. Rim looks fine no scratches no dents, can a tire really be this far out of balance? Thanks, Bob 20160929_104551.jpg

2. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

That red dot should be by the valve stem. Also if it is rotate the tire 180 degrees and rebalnce.

pecker head likes this.
  3. Re-clock it like bonzo says and see if it helps. And yes, tire quality in many cases is abysmal.

shawnsauto1 and lothianwilly71 like this.
  4. not saying this is the case , but i have become convinced over the years that there are some shops that can not balance a tire/wheel properly

all that weight in one spot doesn't give me a good feeling

5. c1067

c1067
    from ohio

I have seen tires bad right from the manufacturer. I would rotate the tire and retry, also try to balance the bare wheel first to make sure it's all in the tire. You may also see a wobble or high spot in the tire when you spin it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It shouldn't take that much on a two ply rated car tire but a truck tire might. I'd still have broken it down and moved the tire 180 degrees on the rim and balanced it again.. I used to do that a lot when I was working with tires every day in the 70's.
    Being that the last tire on the rim didn't take much weight to balance it I'd say it was more the tire than the rim and you may not gain any by moving the tire around the rim. Normally when you move the tire around and make a noticeable gain, both the tire and wheel are out of balance to begin with.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

Are there any weights on the other side of the wheel? my guess is there are not....adding that much weight to the edge of the wheel/tire will throw of the dynamic balance quite a bit.

And yeah, that's a lot of weight, which probably means it's a crappy tire.

Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

165 ounces is like 10 lbs. !! I could not read the weights in the picture.

I wonder if Some may be marked in grams these days.
    165 grams is around 6 ounces.
    Still a lot of weight for sure.

The new steel weights are less dense, and thus lighter than good old lead.

I'd check the rim and tire for runout mounted on the car with a wire pointer on a jackstand , and for static unbalance (back the brake shoes off a bit for easy turning).
    If the runout radial and lateral is less than 0.09", and the tire does not "flop" by gravity, I'd run it and "see" how it feels.

How old are the other 3 tires ?

9. I'd be interested to see what it looked like on the balancer spinning. Most balancers I've used will split the weight and not lump it in 1 spot like that. Go back to where you bought it and have them run it again, maybe break it down and rotate it 180* as suggested.

10. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

Weight was in grams 55 grams each weight. Took tire back, had them break the bead spin the tire 180, weight followed the tire. They gave me a new tire. I didnt like that much weight on one spot on the wheel. Thanks for the responses. Bob

Hnstray likes this.
  11. 55.. grams.. to anyone from the 1960's and 1970's that's 2 ounces per weight. Ghastly on a car tire. Glad you got it fixed.