Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tips on removing welsh plugs etc!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mai Ki-Ki, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Helping my cousin remove a badly rusted welsh plug ina 50's Land rover....The plugs so thin and correded in the middle that trying to spin it around be hitting it with stuff has only punched holes..any easy tips of getting one out....

Ask if i haven t given enuff info.

cheers
    MAIKI

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always take 'em out by drilling & tapping a 1/4-28 threaded hole in the middle, screwing in a long rod with a stopper on the other end & a sliding weight on the rod and bumping them out.
    Sounds like that won't work on yours, 'cause it's rusted so bad. I guess you're left with prying it out, using some leverage from a slipper bar or .....??

3. DrJ

DrJ

Haven't heard anyone call them that in a long time...
    Sometimes you just have to cut them with a chisel, carefully so you don't cut the hole and make a leaker.
    Or if they're as rusty and thin as you say just knock them all the way in and then turn them with some pliers and pull them back out sideways. I've heard of people just leaving them in there to finish dissolving but in the mean time it makes a potentially serious coolant flow blockage.

4. laverda

laverda

Whatsa Welsh plug? My Mom's from Wales and she did not know [​IMG] Thanks.

Later,
    papa al

5. [ QUOTE ]
    Whatsa Welsh plug? My Mom's from Wales and she did not know [​IMG] Thanks.

Later,
    papa al

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oh, she knows, she just didn't want to tell you! [​IMG]

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

There's a Welsh person I'd really like to plug, no not Tom Jones, but that bird that was in the musical flick Chicago....you know the one that does those cell phone ads.
    The one that's married to that dried up octagenerian....the son of Kirk Douglas.

What the hell's her name?

I wanna plug her really bad, even though her legs are like tree trunks.

Oh it just came to me, Catherine Zeta Jones, hey wait a minute!!!! She has the same last name as Tom Jones.

7. LIMEY

LIMEY

You're dead right she does pluggin like a sheep.

back to the subject i've never heard 'em called that before either, always been core plugs to me.......that is what we're talkin about is it?

8. laverda

laverda

Ahhhh Catherine .....

... oh ya, we call em freeze plugs if there core plugs. Ya knock one out to put the block heater in so the engine starts in the winter. Just a loop of steel that glows hot when you plug it in the wall ... simple and effective. Can also use it to warm coffee as well [​IMG]

As an aside my Mom knew of TJ (they lived in the same small town) ... voice like an angel when younger ... brawler, womanizer, drinker as he grew up! My kinda guy [​IMG]

9. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

[ QUOTE ]
    As an aside my Mom knew of TJ (they lived in the same small town) ... voice like an angel when younger ... brawler, womanizer, drinker as he grew up! My kinda guy [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shit.. sounds like a normal welshman to me! [​IMG] ( my brother in law is welsh.. )

bo yo see whys that then boyo ?!

10. DrJ

DrJ

Now that I think about it, I've heard it pronounced more like "Welch" plug too. It's a slang term so its not wxactly the knid of word that's written down so it might not be Welsh at all. I remember people my dad and grand dad's age using it.
    My mother got in a bind when she came over here from England when she went to the store and asked if they had any "Swedes". Thye asked her what she wanted with a Swede and she said to cook for dinner of course!
    So, after describing the vegetable they decided she wanted a rutabaga!
    Sometimes slang words are just sounds, and not at all referencing a place of group that may be known by a similar sounding word.
    In England, is a fag still a cigarette....?

11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

DrJ you're right, I remember 'em being called WELCH plugs in England.
    I thought swedes were turnips though, I don't think rutabagas grow too well in England.
    Fags are still cigarettes in England but faggots are some kind of meat patty. A fanny is not a rear butt, but a front butt if you catch my drift.
    I believe a 'vertical bacon sandwich' means the same on either side of the Atlantic.

12. DrJ

DrJ

It probably was a turnip, but in my Mom's story it's always been a rutabaga... [​IMG]

Here, a faggot used to be a bundle of iron rods, I think,

13. Even though DrJ and Nads digress....they are correct. They are WELCH plugs......but, hell, Aussies can call them WELSH plugs! It's our privilege!!

Only way I've ever seen it done MKK is punch the f#cker in on one side (so it kinda swivels) and get the old multi-grips in to pull the thing out.

I did hear of a trick the other day to clean out the water passages of a running motor.....DISHWASHING POWDER....put some in (I don't know how much), run the motor around for a day and drop the water out and flush the system clean. Supposed to make the metal surfaces look like new cast. [​IMG]

14. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The company I retired from has been a machine tool builder for over a hundred years. The plugs are listed in their Standards Manual as "Welch" plugs.

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

And ergo the manufacturers of said plugs must be Welchmen, right?

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Is it also possible than when you're frezzing you knackers off waiting to catch a double decker that it would be appropriate to say, "Bloody 'el mate, it's gorra be 10 degrees out, it's figgin' welchin'."?
    Because obviously welch is a synonym for freeze, right?

17. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

[ QUOTE ]
    Now that I think about it, I've heard it pronounced more like "Welch" plug too. It's a slang term so its not wxactly the knid of word that's written down so it might not be Welsh at all. I remember people my dad and grand dad's age using it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're making me feel old here Doc!