Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tips On Pulling The Front Clip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3spd, Aug 17, 2012.

1. 3spd

3spd

I need to pull the front clip off my '56 Buick Wagon. Any tips on the best way to do it?

Is it Possible/practical to pull it off in one piece?

I tired pulling the passenger side fender, I removed all the bolts from the top and 3 bolts of the bottom but it still won't come off. Are there any hidden bolts I am likely missing?

Thanks,
    Ryland

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Pull the front bumper where the brackets bolt to the frame on each side.

Disconnect any hoses going to the radiator.

Disconnect any wiring from body harness to front end assembly.

Disconnect any duct work that may be attached from the inner fender to the cowl (there may not be any - not sure on your Buick)

Unbolt the fenders at the cowl. Some bolts/nuts will have to be accessed from inside the car, just ahead of the door hinge pillar. Yoiu wil have to remove kick panel to get to these. There will also be at least one bolt at the top of the cowl, accessed from under the hood, and at the bottom of the fender/underneath.

Unbolt the core support underneath the radiator.

Once all this is done, get at LEAST one other stout fellow, and preferably 3 of them, and lift the front end assembly up and forward.

I 'think' the hood hinges attach to the cowl on your Buick, so you would unbolt the hood FROM the HINGES.....do not unbolt the hinges from the cowl. Actually, this should be done before attempting to remove the clip.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012