Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tips on building 455 Buick Needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bassfire, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

I am looking for a good rebuilder that specializes in Buick motors to do my 455, preferably in Texas. Also would like some tips that will help build a better motor. Aluminum heads are not completely out of the question, and I am thinking an Edelbrock B4B intake is a good choice along with some good headers. Will be running automatic and 308 gears in a 55 buick Super. Mostly street with an occasional run at the nostalgia drags.
    Thanks
    Jerry

2. gmt900

gmt900

Try these guys http://www.postonbuick.com and the book "Guide to Buick Performance Engines" The book is really good and I have used it for many years

Attached Files:

3. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

4. MBTex

MBTex

There is a wealth of information on www.v8buick.com

One of the members on that goes by the name northcorner (http://www.v8buick.com/member.php?u=3608) is in your area.

Also the guys who rebuilt my stage 1 are from Waco and Mart. But I have not seen them in many years. Names are Rusty Wilbanks and Jay Vanous not sure on spelling. But Jay was from Mart.

Also try http://www.paeenterprises.com/ out of El Paso.

Another source is http://www.houstonbuick.org/ I no there are a couple of shops in the Houston area that are supposed to be good with Buicks

5. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

There's a guy here in Dallas that is doing our buick (nailhead) and has done many before ours. He Recently did a 455. He does a lot of racing and hi performance stuff. Our engine is looking pretty nice and he's doing a few tricks on the heads, like shortening the valve guides to make the flow better.

Anyway his name is John Day. It is just him and is a small shop, but he's got all the nice equipment and seems to care about doing a good job.

Here's his info:
    Day Custom Engine
    401 S Sherman St. Suite 117
    Ricahrdson, Tx
    972-235-7405

If you need me to ask anything he is literally 2 doors down from my office.

6. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

Thanks for the replies. I know Rusty and Jay. Jay is probably the best Buick engine builder arround, but he just doesn't have the time to build my engine now. According to Jay building a Buick is unique if you want it to last. He says you can just throw the Chevy book out the door, and he knows all the special tricks to build a good 455. He would be my first choice but I think it would be 6 months to a year before he can get to it. I will check with John Day next time I go to Dallas. Sounds like he may be the one to use.
    Thanks again for the help. Gonna try to get the 55 going in time for the Roundup....or at least that is what my wife is hoping.

7. MBTex

MBTex

Next time you talk to Rusty and Jay tell them Hi from me and that my stage 1 is still running strong.

Mark

8. repoguy

repoguy

9. Get Dave Plubell's number from Brian, he knew a lot about my Studebaker motor when he fixed it after Wayne Calvert F'd it up. He seems to have a well rounded expertise.

He built my SBC 383 stroker and rebuilt my Stude 289, Brian's hemi short block, etc..

It might be worth a phone call.

10. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

Great idea...I had not thought about him. Been to his shop with Brian. I will call him about the Buick rebuild.
    Thanks
    Jerry