Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tinted primer?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Dixon Bastie, May 28, 2017.

1. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

I want to put a shade of tan or beige primer on my 58 Edsel mild custom and am wondering if my body supply store can tint the primer to that color. Also, should I apply a clearcoat over it for longevity? The roof and quarter coves will be a candy tangerine or copper, and likely be acrylic enamel. Opinions, info welcome, thanks.

2. Primer can be easily tinted. Not so sure about CC over primer, may spoil the effect you're after.

henryj1951 likes this.
  3. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

Thanks, was wondering if the CC would make the primer look funky. Just thought CC over primer would seal it and make it more durable.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

go to local auto paint supply company and talk to them - some people have ended up with oddball colors after tinting primer - some with pink, etc. - if you clear coat primer you might as well do a full paint job with a satin clear coat, then have any color that you want - want to paint/mix yourself? - try House of Kolor, etc

henryj1951 likes this.

5. If you use a good urethane primer -you can tint it and the more toner you put in the more of a 'sheen' it will develop. The urethane will seal it up.
    It will have some UV hold out-but not as good as a real top coat.
    By the time you go to all the trouble-you can just paint it and be done-satin or shiney.

6. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

Thanks for the suggestions. I want either a flat or satin look because the car is to look like a work in progress, and will be a daily driver. I think the flat or satin beige will nicely offset the candy tangerine or copper gloss accent areas. With accent color painted steelies, baby moons, and wide whites, think it will look good. It will be lowered 3 inches all around. I'm considering scuffing the bumpers too.

7. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

If it comes to it I'd rather see you tint a sealer and then clear it.
    I'm pretty sure there are limits to the amount of tints that should be added to sealers and primers though. They usually require tinting with another sealer or primer that may limit somewhat your color outcome.
    Primers and sealers are usually not mixed by jobbers as they are supplied prepackaged by the paint companies.

henryj1951 likes this.
  8. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

9. Why not get some flattener put in some real paint?

joee, indyjps and henryj1951 like this.
  10. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

All of my previous builds were "painted" by conventional primer/color method. This one is a bit different. I'm hoping the primer look with painted accents will add to the unusual appeal of a big body Edsel. I'll note the suggestions and discuss options with my body supply guy. Doing the car this way is just about as labor intensive as a full paint job, but I'm going for the "look". Thanks for all the replies, ender how many gallons this barge will require.

11. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

This MAY be the BEST option. Real paint, with the satin soft velour LQQK.

jazz1 likes this.
  12. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

20160925_151202.jpg
    I was low on cash getting my dad's 56 Vette back on the road so I had the sealer tinted to match the cascade green paint color. Some day I'll get the money together to finish it . It's kinda nice not having to worry about the paint and just drive the he'll out of it. If it gets scratched just touch it up and go for it again. 20130518_165601.jpg CameraZOOM-20131130171121744.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. jazz1

jazz1

Yep,,been there done it. Have local paint shop mix a custom colour using high quality paint. The extra bucks is a better option than the cheap flat paints available online

henryj1951 likes this.
  14. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

Oh yes, no intent to use Wal-Mart bomb cans. My body supply store has a full range of finishes, and House of Color products as well. Just wanted to be sure what to ask or to get the final to finish I think will make my car pop. Thanks for your input.

15. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Valspar makes a primer product called Direct to Metal , and it can be tinted to several shades of various colors .They have a color chart available for reference If you're looking for a flat or semi flat finish you can adjust the clearcoat with a flattening agent .

16. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Shoot it with sealer, not primer and clear. primer wont last, clear over primer ruins the point of doing it cheap.
    I ran my truck in finish 1 sealer for a couple years, looked decent too. It comes in white and 7 shades of grey up to black, so im sure it can be tinted.

17. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

18. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

Since posting my primer question, have received many good suggestions on the best way to get my combination suede and candy paint job on my 58 Edsel Corsair mild custom. All replies appreciated, and when it's in colors, will post some photos. Thanks to all.