Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Timm builds a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Still not working on the A but this morning my little girl was good to me for father’s day and I got this rad bell style wheel for the car and matching Mcphail hotrod shirts :)

The painting will get framed for my space at work :D

Hope you guys had a great day 939FEE3E-CAD1-445D-AE43-540D77D9A850.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    LBCD, brEad, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

61CA2B56-A051-4E43-A60D-87A279890CC7.jpeg Mercruiser side plate made it’s way from Texas today. Looks awesome! Looking forward to getting back on this car eventually

barrnone50 and brEad like this.
  3. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

image.jpeg We've got an alloy side plate and valve cover coming to Australia from Michigan ,,the valve cover was priced Ok but the side cover was a bit pricey ,but they came from the same dealer so postage was together ,,,these polished up will detail our engine nicely ,,

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I think it’s a nice detail. I’d been trying to figure out how to make the ignition side of the engine look nicer. This should a good step in the right direction I think.

Runnin shine likes this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Austin kays likes this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Just a cool header I found over on the recent monthly banger post. This would be a 180 header on the 153 I believe.

Thought about doing it this way but think I’ll stick to my single header for now, though it does follow a similar shape 8623FC34-AD3A-4691-B0BB-143920777A5D.jpeg
    Just something to look at I guess :) buddy’s in the shop striping the 46 and I’m trying to stay out of there til he’s done . browsing the hamb and pacing around haha

Tman, Six Ball and brEad like this.
  7. Pedro Del Sarto

Pedro Del Sarto

Hi! Here in brazil is common 151/153 chevy 4 banger swap on early fords... These engines were used in chevrolet opala for many years and are cheap and easy to find. In early 70's a company called envemo made performance kits for opala, and one of the upgrades area the dual solex carbs for the 151 engine. They are pretty rare today, but a speed parts craftsman made then by order. The solex carbs are easy to find in the us because they're large used on aircooled vw's on kadron kits and have 2 5/8" neck like stromberges and 94's... So air cleaners and scoops aren't a problem. Maybe could be a sollution for your carb set. Here some pictures of the envemo and RAAD speed shop blog page. Sorry for the bad english.

http://hotrodspeedshop.blogspot.com/

Greetings,
    Pedro

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://hotrodspeedshop.blogspot.com/

AHotRod, Six Ball, brEad and 2 others like this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Pedro Del Sarto !

I have been trying to find more information on those intakes for years!

I would see them on YouTube but I could never find more information online.

The intakes look great and that valve cover is very cool! Now that I have a brand name to search maybe I will have better luck in finding one of those intakes!

Thank you!

- your English is probably better than most of my friends haha

drdave and brEad like this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Now, I’m normaly the first guy to wrech at a modern master cylinder mounted on a firewall let alone on a car trying to fit an earlier period.

But these 40’s ford masters just aren’t growing on me. Just bulky and... well I’m just not feeling it.

If it were one, maybe. If it were a v8 where visual focus was shifted over maybe. But in this case where the intake and the masters will be so close to each other I just had to go hunting.

These willwood masters are sold as a brake or clutch master. They are slightly shorter than a 40’s ford, and I actually really kinda dig the lid shape and over all the shape is a little more pleasing.

I’m thinking I’ll run a pair of them with the logo and lettering smoothed off and then painted in a hammer tone paint. I’m thinking black but a dark charcoal could work too. C8D14829-B684-4580-BD2B-B1495D5BD149.jpeg Latest obsession is back to mounting the ansen style pedals and and bracing it all with the steering column.

Anyhow, back to your regularly scheduled programming

brEad likes this.
  10. Those will clean up nice

Tim likes this.
  11. Have you looked at a Chevy truck unit? (Not that there is anything wrong with the WW unit.)

image.jpeg

Rich B. likes this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah @cactus1 I had considered it but the pedals I ended up with are spaced to far apart to run one.

Not that I’m out right against changing the pedals.

cactus1 likes this.
  13. bend em

14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

"Now, I’m normaly the first guy to wrech at a modern master cylinder mounted on a firewall let alone on a car trying to fit an earlier period." I need read no further. I'm that guy too.

cactus1 likes this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I was meaning were everything is drilled for masters I think they are to far apart to fit the Chevy master. I suppose I could re drill it and modify the pedals but at that point I could have easier just come up with a different set of pedals.

E02480AB-EC1D-45A7-B9B9-424F7433704E.jpeg 37DC598B-0BDD-488B-B96C-CE12F5BE5828.jpeg
    And because no one likes a post with no photos lol.

I’d been thinking about wrapping my nice new wheel on Saran Wrap and trying it on for size on my rusty column. This afternoon it hit me that I could just put a glove over the bell with a finger over the shaft.

It’s probably going to move up a bit, I’m going to saw off the stock A column support and use the truck unit mounted a little further back. About where it is in the photo actually

Dash rail is off in this photo but I think my fat hands should clear everything just fine.

Though seeing this mocked up does make me wonder about covering the gap I’ll have behind the wheel letting you see into the bell.

brEad likes this.
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

brEad and Tim like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hah, yeah you do full on bomber pilot race car and I’ll do my farm boy racer lol.

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Daughter and I went out gathering hot rod parts and eating tacos :) here is a little bit of what we drug home 95238BF6-8646-48C9-BDA4-1AB26A15A8B7.jpeg B80C684D-43EA-4C7E-80A9-3034CCF96B0B.jpeg A0DFBCC7-EF92-4857-BD1A-6B756358A5EA.jpeg
    Some brokville splash aprons, home made mega stout running boards, some apron gas tanks and a magnesium halibrand quick change center to replace the stock banjo in my A rear :)

Got a few more bits but didn’t grab a photo yet.

Excited for when I can get back on this one :) getting closer on the 46 though. Got the tires mounted and balanced on the new wheels just need to wash the car and mount them up to see if my “vision” was a good idea or not lol

19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Be careful, a few extra parts can lead to a whole new build.

nunattax, brEad and Tim like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Six Ball haha I’m more than aware of that. I keep giving @Austin kays stuff for his sedan just to be safe.

The aprons I have on the car now are rougher than they look, and my existing running board I cut from a long board haha

Austin kays likes this.
  21. I actually got a pretty trick looking wildwood (as in simple and not lettered) on my shelf in the garage. Never had fluid in it if you want to give it a look this evening.

Hey why does a banger guy got a V-8 tin can? Where was that when I needed one?

brEad, Austin kays and Tim like this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

23. Austin kays

Austin kays

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@porknbeaner just now saw the tin can comment, that isnot a photo of my wall or you’d already have gotten it from me ;)

brEad likes this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

A23EF57E-0270-4833-A757-071A76A79C47.jpeg Not really a “real” update but my brains been thinking about different brake options and even though this car is not what I’m working on at the moment I had to go measure some stuff.

Figured out that for my pedals to bottom out close to stock ford. More or less where the toe board meets the lower firewall. I needed to drop the masters.

Mocked it up on the lower side of the seam instead of the top and it seems just about perfect from where I’m sitting.

This means-
    1: better pedal placement
    2: way way easier for my brain to wrap around bracing up the firewall
    3: visually looks way better it hanging so high
    4: only have to worry about clearing the single angled hood side instead of the compound shaped hood top
    5: might make throttle linkage a little more creative but gives me TONS of roof for whatever air cleaner I want to use now.

Still planing on the willwood masters I posted above.

Alright. Back to whatever your procrastinating about ;)

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

brEad, flatout51, Tuck and 1 other person like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Every once in a while in a while I look online for videos of the 153’s.

Mostly some South American versions and one nova vide but today it popped up some new stuff! Including this supercharged stocker

And this time lapse video of assembly I thought was kinda cool. Doesn’t seem like you could make them any simpler and keep the valves Over head!

brEad and Six Ball like this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Those are cool. Thanks.

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Six Ball I figured someone may like them :) how’s your stuff goin?

30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Well, As I posted somewhere yesterday I dropped a 327 into my '53 pickup. In the bed for traction in the mud and snow this winter. I've also been working on our solar system doing some upgrades and a little work in the shop. I hope to catch up soon and finally get my 153 and trans together before spring.

brEad and Tim like this.