Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Timing tab Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ralphies54, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Helping a friend tune his off topic 305 S/B. The timing tab has something I'm not familiar with and I know somebody here has the answer. On the tab is a tube about 1" long and 5/16" in diameter fastened to the tab, what is the purpose of this thing?? and is TDC under the center of this tube or is it at the larger notch before the tube?? Thanks, Ralphie Sorry I can't get a picture of this it's just about buried behind the accessories.

2. squirrel

squirrel

it's to put a timing probe, I think used at the factory to set the timing on the engine? there's also a big notch in the damper, that the probe detects. Totally useless in real life.

jaracer and Black_Sheep like this.
  3. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Thanks Squirrel, I knew you would come through for me (us) yes it does seem totally useless but I had to know!! Still need to know about TDC. Ralphie

4. squirrel

squirrel

Usually TDC is the largest notch in the tab. A little googling finds this helpful picture, which you could not take on your engine. The text says notch 7 is TDC.

cover.jpg

loudbang and Ralphies54 like this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, factory timing probe.

loudbang and Ralphies54 like this.
  6. Driver50x

Driver50x

In the late ‘80s I worked in a shop where we had a Sun oscilloscope/diagnostic machine. It had the correct probe to set the timing using that tube.

7. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

thanks again Squirrel, and others, Ralphie

loudbang likes this.
  8. I have a snap on unit that does as well
    Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that most scopes made after the late 70's had the probe The Sun scope in the school shop that we got in the early 80's had it and there might be one for my Marquette Scope in the cabinet with the other wires and pieces. Those came about when they started putting so many accessories on the front of engines you couldn't see the timing marks with a light.

Ralphies54, loudbang and Driver50x like this.
  10. Yep..Went to Allen scope school.
    I was under the impression that GM put the tab there because it was hard to see in the old location, with all the belt driven stuff at that time.

Driver50x and Ralphies54 like this.
  11. jaracer

jaracer

Monolythic timing, Chrysler made the dealerships buy an expensive machine to use it back in the late 70's.

Driver50x and Ralphies54 like this.