Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Timing light - non inductive to inductive?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Redrodguy, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

I have an old Sears timing light (no dial back) that uses an alligator clip attached to an inline spring to pick up the timing signal. Is there a way to convert this to an inductive type pickup? If so, how is it wired to the existing alligator clip? From the inductive clamp, would one wire go to the alligator clip wire and another go to ground?

2. squirrel

squirrel

Think about what you're trying to do. You want to use a light that is designed to accept a 20kv input (the direct spark plug wire connection), and use it to sense a very small signal (the induced voltage from the pickup coil).

You will need to do more than just change the clamp, you need to figure out the signal level circuitry inside the light.

3. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

Jim - thanks for the explanation. I had no idea that there was more to the story than changing out the leads. I have another timing light with a dial back, but I kinda like the old Craftsman.
    Don