Register now to get rid of these ads!

timing issues on a GM / Ford / Mopar and whatever else

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seetz, Jul 17, 2009.

1. seetz

seetz

I keep hearing everyone (not just on the HAMB, but anywhere) saying about pretty much all engine troubles:
    "check the timing"
    although that's a good advise after cam changes, rebuilds, and more of that stuff that is usually not done by people asking about how to get their engine running right, isn't that timing check just BS?
    I pulled a few engines apart, and I see no way that the timing could be off just because of whatever. carbs get dirty, gaskets blow, fuel pump membranes dissolve, but timing?
    how many of you ever bought an old car (and I do not mean an old dragster, or a 350 with all brand new shiny edelbrock including the timing cover), couldn't get it running right, and discovered that the timing was off?

I just see my timing is off. It's past bedtime! damn hamb, always timing issues

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

maybe, but the first step in chasing a bad timing chain is to,,, well check the timing.

It can also show you a stuck advance, or lack of vaccuum advance.

So yeah check the damn timing!