Register now to get rid of these ads!

Time to play another round of "name that tool!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saxman, Sep 20, 2013.

  1. I have a whole set of these in various sizes. I think I found them in the garage of an abandoned house about 30 years ago.

    The one piece looks like a transfer punch but I have never been able to figure out what the die is for. Some kind of dimpling die? My brother-in-law and I decided it is a muffler bearing installation tool.

    I'm SURE some of you will know what this is in about 30 seconds.

    The winner will receive a weekend for two at a chicken ranch in El Cajon.

    Shit, I'm not sure this is in the right forum...or if there is a right forum.

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  2. Saxman: Can you describe it a little better. I'm having trouble seeing it. Tim
  3. Is the photo not showing up? The one piece looks just like a transfer punch with a little tit on the end. I have them in various diameters. Along with each punch is a die. The hole in the die is the same diameter as each punch and fits the curved taper on the punch, if that makes sense.
  4. FiddyFour
    Joined: Dec 31, 2004
    Posts: 9,008


    post a photo...
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

  5. Agreed , Saxman... some less obscure pictures may benefit us all , but then again it may be part of of the charm of the weekend getaway offer :p
  6. Okay, so the photo is not showing up. Let me try again. Can you see it now?

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  7. they sound like some punches I have from my boat building days for punching out convex washers for rivet and rove fasteners
  8. F&J
    Joined: Apr 5, 2007
    Posts: 13,214


    ..err, No ;)

    Maybe just put up a random pic of anything from google...just to add interest:D
  9. Thumper
    Joined: Mar 7, 2005
    Posts: 1,611


    Dammit..........I had a set of those things 'till some fucker stole 'em..:(
  10. pics in your profile albums?
  11. I think ill name them " obsolete" for now and look back in a few lol
  12. mickeyc
    Joined: Jul 8, 2008
    Posts: 1,063


    I have used similar tools for punching out holes in gasket material?
  13. Okay, I posted the pic as an attachment. Hopefully you can see it now. These aren't the type of punches that you would use for gasket material, for sure.
  14. looks like a grommet swaging tool , like you you'd use on tarps , canvas, plastic etc.
  15. F&J
    Joined: Apr 5, 2007
    Posts: 13,214


    after all that, the pics are now up on post 1, but I have no ideas.
  16. ya shows in all your posts now lol thanks
  17. That looks like basic tooling that goes in a punch press, could be a manual or hydraulic press. They come in all sizes and other shapes as well (oblong, square etc). The spike simply lines the punch up to a center punch mark on the work piece you are punching.
  18. Okay, that's beginning to make sense. Are you talking about a press for sheet metal?
  19. i believe they fit a Roper Whitney sheet metal punch....i think maybe a model # 20
  20. These are punch and die sets for an iron worker, there are several different brands. The point on the punch is to line up with a center punch mark on your work. I think you are looking at the die wrong side up, the counter-bore goes to the bottom and the punch enters from the other (flat) side.
  21. dorf
    Joined: Dec 5, 2008
    Posts: 1,087

    from ohio

    i have one of these. i inherited from my father in law. i have no idea what it is ,but so far nothing makes sense to me . he never worked in a mill or machine shop . he drove a cement mixer for 36 years , so i really dont believe anyone has come up with the correct answer .
  22. sure are you? The thing is, the other side of the die is not flat. It actually has a slight convex shape to it, as does the large end of the punch. It makes think it was made to be struck. If it were made for a press, I think it would be flat. But maybe I'm not understanding what your saying regarding how it's used and what it's for.
  23. Cerberus
    Joined: May 24, 2010
    Posts: 1,381


    Tool to punch snaps?
  24. staygreasy
    Joined: May 28, 2007
    Posts: 85

    from s.e. tx

    they look like dimple dies. look em up. totally useless. i'll give ya $50 for the set!
  25. staygreasy
    Joined: May 28, 2007
    Posts: 85

    from s.e. tx

    that is IF they are dimple dies...
  26. hallrods
    Joined: Feb 21, 2012
    Posts: 1,214


    Are they for countersinking sheet metal for a machine screw?
  27. Babyearl
    Joined: May 23, 2008
    Posts: 610


    We have a winner,, I have a 50 Gal barrel half full of these,, I can't belive you would doubt Kiwi Kev.:D
  28. Hey folks, I wasn't guessing when I wrote my first post, I have used them in several different fab shops I have worked at and I posted a link to a manufacturer.
    dorf, I have no idea where your F-I-L got them, maybe he stole them, but I do know what they are and where they get used and they will punch through material equal to their working diameter. (1/4" punch = 1/4" thick material, 1/2" punch = 1/2" thick material etc.)
  29. BINGO! You are correct! I did some research based on your post and this is exactly what the dies look like. Now, if I just had the punch!!
  30. Hotrodbuilderny
    Joined: Mar 20, 2009
    Posts: 1,646


    Look just like the ones on the Iron worker my uncle had. The punch when in the top and the biscuit went in the table.

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.