Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Time to get her on the road ... 48 merc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NORCALCUERVO, Feb 4, 2016.

1. NORCALCUERVO

NORCALCUERVO

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg So I had this follow me home a while ago and after months of saving doing side jobs here and there and putting in some overtime I have gotten some money together. Believe me not easy when you've got a family and parents who also need help. Now it's time to get this fat girl back on the road. The flathead does turn but driver side water pumps doesnt and according to the previous owner it had a knock in it. Truthfully yes flattys look great sound great but I need something cheaper and more reliable. So here come the questions and yes I've researched and yes I've got through other threads some were clear others not. I've had many other cars but nothing this old so this is a first for me.

1) Is there a bolt on kit for engine swaps? I really want to run a 350/350 combo
    2) Tranny tips?
    3) Rearend tips?
    4) How to slam the rear? Lower the front?
    5) Brake up grades?

Budget build here.... I just want something where I can get my boys and wife in and cruise around town. I will post pictures of the progress and give credit to those who helped thanks to all beforehand.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

try speedwaymotors.com for mounts - want manual or automatic? - Ford 8" rear with 2"-3" pre-lowered parallel leaf springs w/tube shocks - up front de-arch/reversed eye springs - can get tube shock kit that will let you use stock sway bar / panhard bars - how low you go depends a lot on size tires/wheels - use a disc brake kit - check chassiengineeringinc.com for stuff too

belair likes this.
  3. NORCALCUERVO

NORCALCUERVO

Nice! I want auto for the tranny. And how low? Not slammed just lowered.

4. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

20160410_165516.jpg This is the Chassis Engineering parallel rear "Low Rider" leaf spring kit. EASY to bolt on in just a few hours, high quality parts. I was very impressed with this kit. I wish it lower but it still brought it down about 6 inches.

5. Chassis Engineering has all the engine & transmission and suspension part's you will need. HRP

6. That is one nice looking car. Bruce.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  7. donno21

donno21

Nice!!! I've got one also, using the combo that your thinking of using. works good, runs cool with the air on. Getting serious about a new interior. Good Luck.

8. donno21 do you have any pictures of yours? Thanks Bruce.

9. 1941coupe

1941coupe

chassis engineering has a bolt in swap for a 350/350 using a 68-76 nova rear don't get much easier than that...I also have a merc its a 46 with a 1950 303 olds engine

Attached Files:

10. dave plmley

dave plmley

my Mercs a 302 Ford and C4, love that little engine

11. donno21

donno21

Yeah, got lot's of pic's. BUT. don't feel like being flamed on the site. It is not traditional, HAMB friendly or a hot rod or custom. And God forbid, it's powered by the much hatted sbc. ( I also have a folding chair in the trunk).

belair likes this.
  12. donno21, don't feel bad .I have always been a station wagon guy. I sold my unfriendly H.A.M.B. Olds wagon 12 years ago.I then found it again just sitting in a garage for the last 10 years so I had to have her back. So I bought her back.After 2 months of work she road worth again. I am going to repaint her back to her lighter blue color after I take her to the Rod Run here in Pigeon Forge Friday. Take care Bruce.

13. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice Car indeed..
    Good luck, and good for you :)