Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects time to build a new car for the hills

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nutrocker, Sep 22, 2012.

1. nutrocker

nutrocker

Thank you all for the kind comments.

To answer a few questions.

Woodbucther, yes it's a twin mag switch which I have converted to the light switch.

Ebbsspeed, My roadster is registered in the UK, just had the plates made to look like US plates, and the car originally came from Oklahoma.

Chriseakin, For the type of racing we do we don't need roll bars or even seat belts. I will be fitting a roll hoop later in the build. As for the weight, not sure, but it's light, I can push the car real easy out of the garage and onto the slightly up hill drive.

61Cad, The steering box is series 2 Land Rover.

Russ, I hoping the car will be done by the end of Oct, trying to get it MOT'd and reg'd before they change things due to the No MOT thingy.

Mart, yup, your welding did the job and got me home, and it has been redesigned now so shouldn't happen again.

Just wanted to add that I have been building this since January and there's plenty more pics to post until I get to how it stands now.

Pete

2. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Post up! I don't think I could ever see too much of the build of this one!

3. nutrocker

nutrocker

I needed to take the body off the chassis so I could weld some strengtheners to the under side. So my wife, Sue, and myself carefully lifted it, turned it upside down and plonked it on the floor. I have to say I was really pleased with how light it was, much lighter than I had expected.

[​IMG]

First was to fully weld the whole underside then add two 1/2" x 2" plates on each side with a folded section between to add strength between the door posts. At this point I forgot to take any pics so these are taken with the body back on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You will notice that some of the welding is not quite up to standard, this was due to to the 1/2" plate being the limit that my welder at home would do.

While the body was off I cut out the firewall and welded the in the recess, cleaned it up and plonked the body back on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Whenever I see a thread authored by you, I can't wait to take a look and see what you're building. Amazing skills and craftsmanship. Thanks for posting this up!

Malcolm

5. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

You do awesome work. Very nice.

6. nutrocker

nutrocker

A bit back I showed the SU carb adapters. I spent a fair bit of time fettling the piece before taking to the local casters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So when three of these were cast I wasted no time in making the linkages and fitted the carbs to see what they looked like.

If this works there's a bit of video of me playing like a kid with a new toy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

7. KICKSY

KICKSY

Amazing work Pete.

Dave.

8. nutrocker

nutrocker

Taking a slight step back I've been doing some of the smaller jobs during the week, easier to get stuck into the body etc at the weekend, and this week I started to fit a bit more of the throttle linkage. Just needs a straight rod through the fire wall to the pedal now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

Tim and volvobrynk like this.
  9. nutrocker

nutrocker

Spent some time bashing out the start of the radiator grill shell. Not being totally sure of what I wanted, I just set about some ally with the mallets and sand bag.

I knew I wanted it shorter and deeper than a standard A/B shell and also wanted it to be more rounded but didn't want the normal track nose style. Sitll wanted it looking 30's, upright with a big opening with the rad sat behind a mesh grill.

The drawn on opening is just a doodle, I will wait to cut out the opening until I have a moment of inspiration, maybe!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took a little while before I cut the hole. I did re-shape the shell a bit too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy with the cut out I welded an angle return around the inside to hold the grill later. I also bought an aluminium radiator core. I will make the top and bottom tanks later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You should be mass producing those grille shells!!!! Even in glass they'd be SO cool to have. Gary

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Badass ! Awesome craftsmanship

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

12. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

I'm just gobsmacked! Brilliant work. And so bloody unassuming too!

13. joe little

joe little
    from UK

Flat out awesome, you are a true craftsman and also a ruler, this is incredible!!

Joe

14. bump
    this is a cool car coming togeather

15. Sooooo talented.

16. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

Man, I second That! OK I'll Third it (I saw someone else seconded it)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
    volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

You Sir, are talented. The car looks awesome, cant wait to see the finished product.

18. Love it! Very cool project.

19. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Stunning! Great ideas realized by an obviously talented builder! I love the SU-Carbs on the flathead

20. 63Compact

63Compact

Subscribed cant wait to see this one pick up a wheel.

21. Question on the SU adapters Pete. Any chance there's enough material to drill 'em to sweep the other way...

Anyway - that's sure a lot of effort you're going to just to try and beat my old piece of shyte! Especially now I'll probably be out of action next year unless I find a bubble of time filled with cash to fix the flattie.

22. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Awesome fabwork!!! Thanks for sharing...

23. nutrocker

nutrocker

After racing at Wiscombe and seeing a couple of cars get wrecked I thought it prudent to fit some kind of roll over hoop. I didn't want anything that would look too modern so made a simple loop, bolted to both chassis rails with a diagonal brace. At a later date, when the fuel tank is mounted I may have another brace that runs backward.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also at the same time I made up the rear top section for the back of the body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The seat is just a quickly made item just for mock up and won't be used in the finished car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. nutrocker

nutrocker

Getting bored with the body work and needing to see some progress I started on the exhaust. Having ordered some bent tubes and header flanges in mild steel some time ago I had all the bits already here so all set to get going. The tubes I ordered were in four sizes, 1-5/8", 1-3/4", 1-7/8" and 2". These would form the headers and be stepped up as they flow. The theory is that gases that expand will increase in speed and be pulled from the smaller tubes into the larger tubes, much like an expansion chamber in a two stroke exhaust. How much difference it'll make, I'm not sure, but worth a try.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. nutrocker

nutrocker

Next bit was to make up a mock column drop so I could sort the column and steering wheel boss. The steering shaft is 3/4" bar with a DD milled into one end and the splined section of the quick release welded to the other. The steering box now has a UJ so the column can be adjusted down for that racing stance. All still needs to be finished, but again this can all be done on the tear down before the final build up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lastly I managed to weld in the cowl top after sorting the internal bracing for the steering column. I only got as far as welding it in place and still have to flash the welds off then panel beat it all flat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

Jungle Jalopy and volvobrynk like this.
  26. nutrocker

nutrocker

Phil, I'll have a look at the plug and see what can be done. We'll have a chat at Prescott.

Pete

27. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

Amazing build - subscribing for updates!

28. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

I am in awe of your skills and craftmanship! I have never heard the word plonked before either!

29. ROCKIT

ROCKIT

Fantastic! Well done.
    It looks like you're going to have some fun with that!
    Is the Amazon box an easy adaptation?

30. koolkemp

koolkemp

:eek: :eek: Wow ,absolutely beautiful craftsmenship ! And I am at the bottom of the first page! I cant wait to check the rest of this awesome build tomorrow!