Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Time for a Commercial break...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Time for a Commercial break...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I wish there was just one of these amazingly style vehicles around, if you guys know of any lurking in museums let us know. You can see these were styled before committees. Let's see, find an old beer delivery truck wack off the old tall cab, throw on a channeled airstream,, some new doors, and red paint.

3. I've always liked these cool old trucks and they are rarely seen today. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Perhaps the most iconic of all time. wienermobile 50.jpg

5. Miniature version. 382A01281.jpg

6. A few from York Pa. Not quite as artistic but cool none the less. IMG_1452.JPG IMG_1463.JPG IMG_1466.JPG IMG_1482.JPG IMG_1501.JPG IMG_1518.JPG

7. flamingokid

flamingokid

It's sad that the industrial designers of today can't make us go "Wow!". The likes of Walter Dorwin Teague,Raymond Loewy,Frank LLoyd Wright,Norman Bel Geddes,and many others.The Art Deco era must have been exciting to live in,it seems like the designs were endless and without limits.

8. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

a canadian classic. It even got on a canadian stamp
    [​IMG]

9. i love anything art deco........ all of these vehicles are awesome.........the tow truck gives me a.....never mind.
    let's not forget Luigi Calani, he has some pretty cool stuff out now.

10. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Great thread. Thanks for starting it Jive-Bomber. I agree with others who posted - amazing machines that are an art piece as much as a vehicle.

11. bondolero

bondolero

Verrrry Nice. I wonder how many of the one off's survived ? Lots of scrap to be had usually means destruction. I never get tired of looking at commercial vehicles that were designed for beauty and impact over practicality and price

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. d23d91bfb11c18ede0045913fecbb69c.jpg Hope ya don't mind a few R.R. pics photo-chicago-train-new-gm-streamliner-being-prepared-for-chicago-detroit-run-1955.jpg stream1.jpg v0udnhge1lvayhzrqtpy.jpg

13. Road Runner

Road Runner

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I bet the beer tastes better out of those trucks.

Model T1, Jet96, 49ratfink and 2 others like this.
  15. One that is fairly common and looks like a stub nosed version of the very rare Dodge Airflow is the lowly Divco.

16. jroberts

jroberts

These trucks do indeed look fantastic. I've seen the Coke Studebaker in person at a Studebaker International meet several years go and as cool as it looks in the picture here it is even cooler in person.

17. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

Man, I really like that Texaco tanker truck at the gas pump, call me crazy, but I think life was better in many ways back then.

18. bondolero

bondolero

Wasn't there a TV reality show that featured the restoration of the above General Motors "Progress"
    bus ?

19. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

The above GM parade of progress was restored by several guys in Vreeland Mich for the NATMUS museum in Auburn Ind.
    The one you've seen being restored by Kindigit in Utah is a different one it was owned by the guy in So Cal that has the one built into a car carrier, we had the car carrier at Pomona this week for a huge RV show at the fairplex.

20. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

21. Very Cool:cool: Just the way I like my Beer:rolleyes:

Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Outstanding...

23. autobilly

autobilly

Here's an 8 minute episode of an Aussie show about a restored GM Parade Of Progress "bus", including a drive and some general specs.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  24. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Labatt's for the win. Love it.

25. Dig those streamlined trucks. Most everything had "style" in those days.
    These days everything has ...."stylus lackus"

26. Garfield

Garfield

The Texaco Dodge Airflow Tanker pictured (not the Texaco Doodlebug) is in the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI.

http://www.thehenryford.org/exhibits/drivingamerica/Explore.aspx?okey=151653

27. ^^^Love those period color combinations^^^

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.