Register now to get rid of these ads!

Time for a change. FLATHEAD TIME!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Apsencik, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Apsencik

Apsencik

Well I decided today to replace the 390 FE in my 30 cabriolet with an 8BA. Couple quick questions I'm looking for suggestions.
    Car has a 9" rear end with coil overs. I've got an 8ba with a 39 top loader located. I have concerns about pedals. The car is currently running stock brake pedal hooked to a vacuum boosted master cylinder under the car. It is also currently an automatic. So I think I'm going to try the f1 swinging pedals. Only hitch in the giddy up is the car also is outfitted with cowl steering. I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this. NO ROOM!!
    So I'm looking at pedals, radiator, and drive shaft alterations. Anything else I might be forgetting ?
    Criticism is welcomed !!

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

getting rid of the soon to be no longer functional vacuum boosted master cylinder way will give you some room.

3. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Keep the cowl steering , go back to pedals in the floor.....39-48 , f1 etc

4. badshifter

badshifter

Once you put the proper engine in it, you'll no doubt use the proper trans, allowing lots of room for the proper clutch and brake pedals and under floor mounts. All of this will allow you to install the proper banjo torque tube rear, and associated proper rear spring.

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To go to firewall pedals will obviously require substantial bracing etc. Choices depend on the brakes you at using at present. And where the gas tank is .You could go to a non boosted 1"1/8 master cyl. . Or a 180 degree back at you M/cyl booster. Even a 90degree sideways M /cyl setup. I think the simplest way would be to leave it all under the floor, with an early ford or after market replica setup which will give you the extra pedal you will need. Not too sure how you have configured the original to work hydraulics.

6. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

There is a bracket built that bolts to the 39 box and will allow you to use floor pedals, if your so inclined,built by Clings.

7. Apsencik

Apsencik

Going to keep the 9" and coil overs. Gas tank is in rear now. The cowl steering as an intricate cage that takes up most of the under cowl where fuel tank used to be.