Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Tilt tele Steering column recomendations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopshop13, Jun 11, 2013.

1. So for my 51, i want to install a Tilting and telescopic column and nice 60's steering wheel.,Ok so i do not want it to look hideous and modern and it needs to be column automatic.
    I want the wheel to be similar to 64 impala or other atractive 60's style. so i imafine that gm parts being somewhat interchangeable might suit,.
    What are your recomendations?
    Oh and POST PICTURES everyone loves em and this is an "apearance critical" job.

Will this 66 cadi column work?
    [​IMG]

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The GM van tilt without the key switch is probably one of the cleanest factory tilts outside of some of the mid 60 GM units that are getting hard to find and harder to find parts for.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The telescoping part will be a problem. Nobody makes any aftermarket adapters for them so you will be stuck with that wheel and horn button. I used a tilt/tele. from a similar year Cadillac My buddy made a custom machined horn button that was a work of art. Nobody but me will drive my hotrod so the telescoping part was not worth the effort to make it look good.

4. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

I have a tilt/tele column in my '41 truck. Love the tilt, hate the tele. Everytime I look over my shoulder to back up or change lanes, the damn thing telescopes out on me. I finally got it adjusted to lock in one position. I wouldn't put another tele in a hotrod.
    Steve
    Tried to post some pics, but "Igor" the computer won't let me.

5. aaggie

aaggie

Contact Flaming River or Ididit for the column, might have a problem adapting the 60s steering wheel. My take on power seats and tele columns is they are a waste of money. Once you finalize your driving position they become unused.

6. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

7. the-rodster

the-rodster

I've got a 59-60 Chevy wheel on a caddy tilt/tele column in my 49 GMC.

It looks good, functions good, but holy hell it was a nightmare to get right.

I ended up fabbing collars, lock rings, etc.

Never again.

Rich

8. supercab78

supercab78

I did something like what "swade41" did. You may be able to use your stock s-wheel. I was able to use the stock 1931 Ford s-wheel on the caddy tilt-tele. The center of the wheel is almost as big as the sliding collar on the column so they blend together pretty well.

9. 67 Olds Toronado - Bell wheel. No horn

[​IMG]

10. caddyrodder

caddyrodder

'46 Cadillac with '65 tilt/tele. Don't plan on anyone else driving it, but nice to have the tele adjustment.

Attached Files: