Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tilt Steering, a little different

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake 27, May 23, 2018.

1. Blake 27

Blake 27

Model Ts can be hard to get in and out of.
    I think 60s T Birds had something similar.
    1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

The tilt away steering column was a Ford option. I have personally see them on a 1970 Mustang Boss and a 1964 Galaxy 4 door. Nice feature. I have a 27 Tudor but I am thinking of using a early sixties Olds wheel with a quick disconnect .

3. that's some real nice work

4. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i remember seeing a t with a steering wheel that flipped up. someone called it a fat man wheel.

5. Interesting, thanks.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I moved the wheel to the side on a customer's T bird in the mid 70's to get out when I parked it and he came back in the shop raising hell that I had broken his steering wheel. Guy had had the car for several months and didn't know you could swing the wheel to the side. Had another one with a Ford wagon that I tilted the wheel up on and he had a fit when he went out to the car saying I broke the wheel. When my boss got done laughing he demonstrated how the tilt worked on the car. Guy had bought it new off the Ford lot, drove it for three years and didn't know he had a tilt wheel.
    I like that swing way wheel on that T, I might have to figure out how to do that on my Model A.

kadillackid likes this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

Hey FHG,

A thread about T-roadsters not having a lot of room for entry and exit was discussed. Here is an excerpt from that thread.
    upload_2018-5-24_5-49-6.png
    the late Freddy Castro's great looking ride, San Diego Prowlers Club...
    upload_2018-5-24_5-57-16.png
    “Fred’s steering wheel was referred to as a “fat man’s” wheel. It folded up toward the windshield. Dan Biggs now owns Fred’s roadster and he told me 6 months ago that the old wheel wasn’t safe anymore and he has had to replace it.”
    From Jim Reid, San Diego Prowlers
    upload_2018-5-24_5-51-54.png
    photo by Jim Reid, San Diego Prowlers

This T- Roadster may still be for sale, check with the Prowlers.

In out teenage years, we were limited as to what we wanted to build, mainly because of the comfort while driving. also entrance and exit played a huge part in our choices of hot rods.

Jnaki
    Hey Blake, nice looking work and functionality. We also had to rule out the RPUs for our next build because of the space for a couple of big, growing, teenage boys. Then recently, someone extended/enlarged the seating area of the RPU to create more room and still keep it looking like a ordinary RPU...a little too late for us.. ha!