Register now to get rid of these ads!

tilt column question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uglydog56, Jun 4, 2009.

1. uglydog56

uglydog56

I don't know if this is o/t, but how do you tighten up a loose tilt column. Mine is wobbling all over the place, and I'm sure there's something that can be done. It's out of an 80 chevy pickup.

2. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

They sell rebuild kits for them.

3. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

They have a common problem with 4 screws near the joint that loosen up. Pull the wheel ,turn signals,and lock cylinder out of the way and you will see them they are torx shaped head.

4. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

For a quick fix you can get to 3 of the screws with a nut driver without removing all of the top of the column.But to do it right you will need to strip it and lock tight the screws .

5. Satin46

Satin46

I have tried two. The first one went OK except I never got the turn signals to work again, the second I totally failed at. But then again I am all thumbs. This web sight has some pics. Good luck

http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

6. RAY With

RAY With

Best to go all the way and do it right. Remove all the parts and tighten all 4 bolts. You may want to replace the small parts with the repair kit available while your in there.

7. uglydog56

uglydog56

Thanks, guys. I will be taking it apart. Appreciate the input.

8. John Milner

John Milner
    from Oklahoma

If you do not have the proper tools, you can get a couple of screws from a Chevy pickup signal light lense and screw them into the pivot pins that come out on either side of the column. I used some from a 1972 Chevy light and the threads were the same. They are pretty stout too. With these screwed into the pivot pins, I was able to remove them with the help of some side cutter pliers. A phillips screw driver will fit in the tension spring to remove it. Press down and turn it a half a round counterclockwise and it will release. Be carefull with the little ball bearings that tend to fall out from around the center shaft. There are two sets. one on top and one on bottom of the housing that holds the signal light switch. Grease will hold them in upon reassembly. You may get by with unplugging the turn signal wires and just moving them up about an inch. That is all you need to get the housing over the end of the column. I think I used a common 12 sided socket to tighten the four bolts, 5/16's maybe? Good luck