Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tilt Away Column in 1930 Model A coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52chev, Aug 20, 2012.

1. 52chev

52chev

Ok, I,m building a chopped and channelled 1930A Ford Coupe. The issue i have is its so chopped and channelled and you sit right back in the coupe body with the column coming way out from the fire wall its almost impossible it get in and out. Now, bare in mind I'm not running a dash or fuel tank in the cowl area, its all open.

I would like to make the column tilt sideways..... like some of the thunderbirds from the 60"s, but right from the base of the column by the fire wall.

Has anyone done this or got any good ideas of how i can do this.:confused:

The car is very very bare bones, only what it needs and no more so trying to keep it simple.:D

Can anyone help please

2. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Thats always a problem on chopped and channeled cars

3. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Why not a removable wheel?

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'd need a substantial framework, a swivel mounted pillow block (shaft bearing), a sliding column drop with a substantial locking mechanism. The slide would have to be cut in an arc so perhaps laser or water jet would have to be used. All of it needs to be pretty stout and you might be able to shag a tilt column lock from a wrecking yard for the release mechanism. Sounds easy...

5. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

CSR used to make one. Try a google search. I found a few pictures, but don't know if they make them anymore.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  6. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

i like the removable wheel idea. Saw a guy do that on a T that showed up at the swap meet. I have a Ididit tilt in the 28 Coupe and works okay. 6 inch channel no chop. I'm 6'0 and still have to roll out with the column up.

7. T Bird Sway-Away column and removeable wheel.

8. MRTS33

MRTS33

A tilt column with a very, very long steering wheel adapter would probably work.

9. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Going through the same issue right now on a build and am opting for the removable wheel.

10. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you considered a fatman steering wheel? They pivot out of the way so you can get in and out. They're easy to install, of the period, and look pretty cool. Good ones sell for $300-$600.

Attached Files:

11. 52chev

52chev

thanks all, yer the removable wheel is the option i wanted but sadly in little old new zealand were not aloud it.... dumb ah!! the wheel must be fixed to the column with two nuts, one been a looking nut>

12. 52chev

52chev

awesome thank you!:D