Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tightening rear wheel bearings 46 Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod-kenny, May 24, 2008.

1. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

Hey guys!

How much torque to tighten rear wheel bearings on 46 ford with banjo rear?

Thanks !

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Ya ain't tighten the bearings , it's drum/hub to axle. Tight is the word here about 100Ft lbs or better. Use either gennie old Ford nuts or grade 8s. ,grade 5s won't take the torque needed. I'm 180 and put everything i got into a 18 inch breaker. don't forget the cotter pin and recheck after a 100 miles or so. And be SURE the keys are not damaged.

3. Fogger

Fogger

John Evans is right, I torque them to 150 lbs and recheck twice, after the first 100 miles and again at 500. Remember it's the combination of the axle taper the hub and the key that keeps everything together. Just like the tailstock on a lathe the taper must be tight. I have lapped the hub to axle if there was a question of contact. I've never broken a key or axle, but I don't abuse the old banjos either. Good luck, The FOGGER

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Bib Overalls

Bib Overalls
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I'm not mistaken, there is a small felt washer that fits in to a recess on the end of the axle and under the nut. Don't know if it is critical or not. But all of the axles I have taken apart have had them.

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

That washer is there to stop any oil weepage down the keyway from getting out. A oring makes a good subistute. Be sure there is the washer under the nut also.

7. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

My torque tool has a 100 feet pound as max.

Thanks everybody for the advice