Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tighten the Front End? Help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MBL, Mar 21, 2007.

1. MBL

MBL

Howdy..since I am driving the Model T more…I'd like to tighten up the front end a bit. Right now I am using a cross steer setup out of a 1940 ford truck. I have all the original parts drag links and such, and they are a bit loose. I have one NOS drag link that I got from our HAMB friend Alchemy…not yet installed. The link from my steering box to the pass wheel is the one that has one non-adjustable end on it. I heard that you can "Rebuild" the rod ends with a kit from somewhere….

Has anyone done this? Where do you get these kits? Any help would be great!
    Thanks
    Tim
    MBL

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The tie rod ends from 28-34 and drag links from same are rebuildable. The rebuild kits are available from any early Ford parts supplier. These kits consists of new springs, ball seats, and caps and cotter keys. Usually enough parts to do both ends of drag link or tie rod. If this what you have be sure check all steering balls for roundness and replace if "egged".
    From 35-up the tie rod ends are conventional and not rebuildable. The drag link has on non-adjustable end and one adjustment sleeve and tie rod end.
    Check each component for wear and replace as necessary.
    Adjust the steering box by factory procedure with pitman arm off or drag link disconnected. Maximum 1" play at steering wheel is OK.
    Check play in kingpins.
    Check play in spring shackles, make sure shackle bars are not tightened against spring eyes.
    After all components are checked and approved, align front end with toe in of 1/16-1/8" and caster of 5-9 degrees positive. Be sure tires are balanced and shocks are working freely.
    You should be good to go!

3. MBL

MBL

Ok...so my setup is not rebuildable. Which means...I need to get another one of those rods that connect the pitman arm to the pass wheel. All other rod ends can be replaced...they have the standard Ford thread? Anything else I need to know?
    Thanks
    Tim
    MBL