Register now to get rid of these ads!

TIG welding question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Retro Jim, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I was sitting here reading some of my old Hot Rod mags and came across an article about a guy making his own front end set up . Well there is a picture where he was welding and he is using a TIG welder ! How long has the TIG be used or around . It's in a September 1975 issue and he is using it . There was also one in the same mag where they were welding a panel in a truck using a torch and rod .
    I really enjoy looking in the old mags because you can still come across some things that were done back then and not anymore . Still interesting reading !

RetroJim

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

I'd be interested in knowing too. I just picked up a Tig Welder.

3. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

I think they were used in WW2 in Airplane factories welding aluminum

4. Weldemup

Weldemup
    from Central,NY

If I'm not mistaken TIG welding(Heli-Arc) was developed during WWII for magnesium and aluminum welding used in aircraft.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. LBCD

LBCD

Ha!

1941...great year,

My Dad was born, my car was born, tig welding was born... and I'm 41 .......:eek:

I tig alot at work, here is a BBQ out of stainless steel I made a few years ago.
    I't for charcoal and you've seen what it does to stainless.....:mad:

So I made it to with stand the heat and not warp or discolor...3 layers!

I used 2'' s.s. round tube for the vents left and right, I added a shock to help with the weight of the hood which is also 3 layers....5' wide and 18'' deep.:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  6. 392_hemi

392_hemi

TiG has been around since the early 40s.

7. Richard Head

Richard Head

DC tig was invented in the early 1930's. In 1941 AC tig was developed to weld aluminum and magnesium with a more stable arc and omitting tungsten contamination in the welds.

Dave

8. narducci

narducci

From Wikipedia

After the discovery of the electric arc in 1800 by Humphry Davy, arc welding developed slowly. C. L. Coffin had the idea of welding in an inert gas atmosphere in 1890, but even in the early 1900s, welding non-ferrous materials like aluminum and magnesium remained difficult, because these metals reacted rapidly with the air, resulting in porous and dross-filled welds.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-1>[2]</SUP> Processes using flux covered electrodes did not satisfactorily protect the weld area from contamination. To solve the problem, bottled inert gases were used in the beginning of the 1930s. A few years later, a direct current, gas-shielded welding process emerged in the aircraft industry for welding magnesium.
    This process was perfected in 1941, and became known as heliarc or tungsten inert gas welding, because it utilized a tungsten electrode and helium as a shielding gas. Initially, the electrode overheated quickly, and in spite of tungsten's high melting temperature, particles of tungsten were transferred to the weld. To address this problem, the polarity of the electrode was changed from positive to negative, but this made it unsuitable for welding many non-ferrous materials. Finally, the development of alternating current units made it possible to stabilize the arc and produce high quality aluminum and magnesium welds.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-2>[3]</SUP>
    Developments continued during the following decades. Linde Air Products developed water-cooled torches that helped to prevent overheating when welding with high currents.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-3>[4]</SUP> Additionally, during the 1950s, as the process continued to gain popularity, some users turned to carbon dioxide as an alternative to the more expensive welding atmospheres consisting of argon and helium. However, this proved unacceptable for welding aluminum and magnesium because it reduced weld quality, and as a result, it is rarely used with GTAW today