Register now to get rid of these ads!

TIG Welding Brass.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Anybody ever do this ? I'm attempting to make a custom top tank for a radiator. I'm using .031" brass sheet. The radiator shop feels that soldering the pieces together may be a problem when they solder the assembled tank to the core header.

2. Ive used Silicon/Bronze on brass before with good results, but it will discolor the joint where you weld it. Best filler material is to use a small strip of the same sheet you are using.

Wear a resparator, there are a lot of toxic metals in brass and when you weld you could inhale the fumes.

It will pop and sizzle quite a bit. Not pretty welds either.

3. daddylama

daddylama

ive TIG'd brass a bunch of times...
    like ElP said... WEAR A RESPARATOR! some nasty stuff that'll attack your lungs, liver, everything...

i usually use a strip of the parent metal as filler, rather than bother with finding a suitable fill rod.

ive heard of guys usin oxy/ace to weld brass with great results... but ive never tried it...

practice on a couple pieces of scrap first... but it's an easy material to TIG...
    Good luck, and post some pics when it's done...
    or better yet, progress pics... the HAMB need's TECH stuff... and im getting curious...