Register now to get rid of these ads!

TIG leaking - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oj, Feb 4, 2012.

1. oj

oj

I decided that i would get some work done on my own junk today and was welding the modifieds' frame when the hose that has both water and the welding lead/wire ruptured and sent water everywhere!
    So here i am, willing & inspired, unable to continue welding - anybody have an idea how to make a repair? The hose bust about 2' from the end where it connects to the solenoid - again it is the hose that has the electrical wire inside it.
    Thanks, oj

2. FEDER

FEDER

Take a sandwitch bag and cut a 4"x4" pc out of it. Squeeze a large blob of silicone on it.
    Clean your lead real good and place it with the hole up in the silicone. Then gently roll up the sides over the top. Then roll up the leftover bag to tighten it up again gently. Then roll a piece of tape around it. You should end up with a silicone sleeve around the lead about a 1/4" thick and 3" long.Set overnight. Did this at work lasted forever. Fed

3. Burned your power lead.

Done it many times myself either through a faulty coolant pump, kinked lines or just pushing too many amps.

One of the slickest temporary fixes I have used is electrical heat shrink tubing with the glue inside. Should be able to get it from a local electronics supply. Ultimately you need to replace the whole cable.

4. snaptwo

snaptwo

You can also take a short length of 1/4" copper tube ,cut a slit in it with a hacksaw, spread it open enough to go over the cable , close the slit and solder, then push the copper in side the plastic outer and use some small diameter wire to form a clamp. Mickey Mouse yes , but it will get you welding again.

5. oj

oj

There must be a lot of pressure in there. I like the copper tube idea. The shrink tube etc would work except that it is the hose with the extra large fitting on one end. I have it wrapped in multilayers of electrical tape and it still dribbles. I did 'half-wraps' going in both directions and have gone thru a roll of tape - if the egyptians had electrical tape the sphynx would still have a nose!

6. HO LEE CRAP ... (correct me if I'm wrong) ... I have a MIG and a rarely used TIG. My TIG torch is not water cooled. This is what I am picturing in my head ... a guy is TIG welding, water hose leaks and soaks the person welding WHILE he is welding ... Isn't there a HUGE opportunity here for someone to be electrocuted? I have always read that it is not wise to weld in damp areas (although I do understand welding can be done underwater) ... am I missing something here?

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Pressure is only supposed to be around 35#...I don't remember exactly how the lead goes together, best fix is to take apart and shorten tube till hole is removed and shorten lead if necessary and reassemble; the rebuilt ones we used to get at work the vinyl tube was held in place with twisted SS wire for clamps..Maybe some heat shrink tape would hold for a while..

8. tig master

tig master
    from up north

Pressure is under 50lbs.
    Just buy a new power cable and be done with it.

T

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Just a tingle..Its funny when a newbe has the chair leg on the waterline, stop the water and the lead overheats and melts the tube and boils the water making steam..

10. rcoffey

rcoffey

you dont realy need it except for aluminium my tig setup is just a power lead and argon gas

11. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

After burning 2 of these I bought the zip up cover and that fixed the problem, my son was welding with a mig and I was on the TIG I guess a hot BB hit the line from his MIG and he got pissed on..That's what he get for screwing up my $75.00 line