Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods TIG GUIDELINES

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatford39, Sep 10, 2020.

1. flatford39

flatford39

Just starting to teach myself how to tig weld. So far I really like it but have a question. Is there a guideline that is used for selecting the proper tungsten and electrode for the thickness of metal??? I read where the tungsten should be half the size of the material thickness but that doesn't make any sense to me. Right now I am practicing on 16 gauge steel using a 1/16th tungsten and a 1/16 electrode. Seems alright to me but I just want to make sure.

2. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Buy either Ceriated or Thoriated as they work with most things. Buy some of the little plastic packs that have a bunch in them. I bought a small grinder and put a coarse diamond wheel on it. Really knocks the crap off the tungsten end and puts a good but circular point. This works a LOT better than a conventional grinding wheel. Then get a small belt sander to finish the tip longways. I also bought one of the mid-size HF cut off/chop saws. Small enough to mount near the other grinders and quickly chops off really bad tungstens. You will probably spend as much time sharpening as welding.....at first.
    Go ahead and buy different size tungstens at least to 3/32 and maybe an 1/8 if your machine can do 200 amps. Also buy some collets. You will use them and you can try different sizes. If you use a lot of amps, your torch will get hot in your hand unless you have water cooling. At first, try just welding without putting a rod in the puddle. Good Luck !

alanp561 likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

4. flatford39

flatford39

Just a logical guess on my part. That's a helpful calculator. Thanks.

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

On 1/16 steel, I use 1 /16 tungsten and vary the size of filler rod depending on the gap. If the gap is tight, I use .035 or .045, to keep the heat down and the weld bead narrow. For a beginner, I would suggest practicing on a minimum of 1/8" steel and using a 3/32 tungsten, and 1/16 rod, it is more forgiving.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    thintin, 41rodderz and ekimneirbo like this.