Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tie rod with male ends?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a situation where I built a dropped tied rod — essentially three pieces so the adjustment can be made in the middle as you would normally. I used cutoffs from unidentified rod ends for the male bits and now, I have plowed a curb damaging the center section and need to make a new one. (I did straighten it but feel like it's a bit dicey)

Is anyone aware of a rod end with "Ford" threads that has a longer shank that I could pirate to build a new center? The parts that would have had the part numbers were scrapped months ago.

2. oj

oj

Why not purchase a model 'a' tye rod, it is solid steel and you can cut it down to whatever length you want and sleeve/weld it back together? Or, post up what length you need and many of us has the 'ford' threading stuff and we can whip up the proper piece without any patching things together. We can even do the RH-LH threading since you use it as an adjuster. You'd have to promise to stay away from those curbs you know.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Kevin, there were some long shank ends with Ford tapers and 11/16"-18 (Ford) thread on some early-to-mid '50s International pickups. (1/2T & 3/4T, IIRC)

I found some pics in an old MOOG catalog when searching for some to drop a tie rod in the '70s...

Speedway is now advertising some long shank dropped ends, a new 'specialty'. (I saw them advertise some 'seconds', at 1/2 price...be wary.)

4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Not searching for a length on the tapered end - I cut that off and scrapped it. I need the longer pieces of stock with 11/16x18 threads. (right and left hand)

Model A is not the same thread. But if anyone reading this is up for threading some solid stock to a specific length I'm listening.

5. Kevin, I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but if you go up to 3/4", you can buy pre-made "turnbuckles" that are L/R male/female. They are used in circle track and drag racing all the time.
    [​IMG]

6. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

Why not just a threaded rod made? Drop me a PM

7. Try MOOG ES361R or ES361L (66-78 Eldorado & Toronado).

8. oj

oj

Got a total length?

9. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Rare parts in Stockton Ca will build excatly what you need and priced pretty fair, I've had a couple things built by them and have been very happy.

10. Fenders

Fenders

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey oj

Attached Files:

12. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

something like this??? these are speedway for there dropped truck axles.....
    [​IMG]

13. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

they are for 48- 52 ford trucks with a dropped I beam axle. they should be the right taper. they are dropped 2 1/4" i think. i dont know if this is what you were looking for.

14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow, my post got cut really short.

It was meant to say: "Hey oj – Appreciate the offer and sorry I never got back to you on the length. I've been tied up with moving... and I actually lost my dog a week ago. (almost 13 years, she was the best)

But I did manage to hook up the above result with a machinist friend.

15. Keven,
    If you give me a length you need and the old ends we can get a copy built out of a piece of none welded bar stock. I can't do it any more as I don't have access to the shop but I'll bet the schoolster would do it for us and he was alwasy better at cutting threads than I was.

If nothing else works for you drop me a note or call me.

16. Kevin, real sorry to hear about you losing your dog, seriously sorry brother, TR

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  17. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Benno – The bit pictured above is a one-piecer so I'm good to go.

TR – Thanks for the thought. She really was great.