Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tie rod routing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XtechX, Mar 1, 2018.

1. XtechX

XtechX
    from Edmore, MI

What I have is a 29 coupe on an original type Brookville Roadster frame with a 2" Kick up.
    I have the 2 3/4" Speedway drop steering arms on that have not been bent, yet. I will if I need to.
    4" drop axle and reversed eye Posies front spring. For weight on the frame I have a sbc and 350 TH transmission, no hood, but maybe sometime I will. Otherwise, just your average car stuff for additional weight.
    So my question is, with the tie rod running over top of the wishbone like my picture shows will everything be o.k. and not crash into the frame the way its routed. With the steering arms I have, I think I can lower (bend) them downward toward the wishbones yet if that would need to be done.
    IIRC I have about and 1 3/8" above and below the top and bottom of the tie rod.
    If this makes sense at all "What do you all think I should do or is it fine the way it is????" IMG_3576 (1).JPG

2. i would get the tierod closer to the wishbones on top , or go with deep drop steering arms to go below

are those `35-`40 wishbones? and it dosesn't look like you have all the weight on the suspension in the picture

3. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks to me that if the steering arms were straight/straighter/flatter and the tie rod ends the other way up the tie rod would be just above the 'bones, with possibly enough headroom under the frame. But if there's insufficient weight on the frame currently........

Chris

4. alchemy

alchemy

Get it as close to the wishbone as possible. Trust me, you will need that room. Even better if you can put it below the wishbone, but maybe not required if you really do have all your weight on it now.

You do realize the springs will settle a bit when you start driving it? Maybe an inch or more.

5. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Put a hole in the wishbone and run them thru it. Solves both clearance problems, Have photos somewhere and will post when I find them.

6. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

On second thought I see you have cross steering. Somewhat harder to achieve.

7. We can't see everything, but if you do get it to work like like that you'd be the only one ever. When everything else is in the right place the tie rod will not fit wher you have it.
    I'm not saying it's 100% so, but I'm thinking something really important is out of whack to get the tie rod in there.

8. pitman

pitman

Those bones have holes, but likely not the size for a tie rod

9. Need an oval hole for tie rod

10. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I have a channeled 34 truck stuffed in the corner. I ovaled the holes and reinforced the inside. But it is stock steering box. I think the cross steer arm would bind in the hole on up and down movement.

11. Is the tie-rod upside down? taper taper