Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical tie rod end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ENess, Aug 27, 2019.

1. ENess

ENess
    from Illinois

I bought this tie rod end for my hot rod and it is split where the yellow mark is, from the hole and lengthwise toward the outer end. Anyone else experience this? When they first started to introduce these to hot rodders, I believe they were from some AMC car. Anyone know what they may have been from? Maybe these hot rod ones are aftermarket and are foreign made, hense the crack. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Early jeeps used them and never seen a cracked one but the ones I used were NOS Willy’s Kaiser .

3. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Could it be a superficial fab line? I have seen that before, if so, many of them can be sanded/ground away and dye checked.

sunbeam likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are a stock item on most 45/71 Jeep C-J with 4 cylinders . This link just tells what they fit. https://www.quadratec.com/products/918045_02.htm

I have never heard of one cracking like that and live in the big middle of hard core Jeep four wheeling territory where they beat those things (the Jeeps) to death.

I'd go with what Joliet Jake suggested first. Smooth off that forging line and see if it is actually a crack.

I looked and can't find a Moog part number for that unit. The 4x4 shops and Summit all sell the Omix-ADA and a cheaper Crown one.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019

5. If it came from Speedway it was made in China.A good Machine shop could magnaflux it for cracks.

6. Fordors

Fordors

While I’m not suggesting it is a good thing that Speedway sources some items from China do you honestly believe they’re unique? Let’s use So-Cal for an example, another big name in the industry that is steeped in history. Do you think nothing they market comes from China? It’s a different time in a different world.

7. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The one in your picture looks beefier than the OMIX piece, hopefully it is good after all.

8. Im afraid I have to agree with you on that.Unless you find oem parts from years ago theres a great chance it all comes from the other side of the world.