Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tie Rod Clearance, do I have enough?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NasT, Nov 28, 2012.

1. NasT

NasT
    from MD

Alright here is what I got.I flipped my tie rod behind the axle to fix the Ackerman. Is this enough clearance? Technically the tie rod should move with the radius roads at all times as “one” so to speak. At a full turn of the wheel against the stops it might just kiss the bottom of my batwings…..I noticed on that Takeout T it has a similar setup as far as location and appears to have around the same clearance. What do you all think??<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    I know it’s not ideal, but I’m trying not to re-engineer the whole car at this point.<O:p</O:p

Attached Files:

2. If you don't have issues when the wheels are at lock you should be fine.

Turn the wheels to full turn if it kisses the bat wing then adjust your bump stops so that it bumps before the tie rod makes contact.

3. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Heat and bend your steering arms a wee bit.

4. NasT

NasT
    from MD

Worried about messing up the chrome....

5. rustang

rustang

Put a couple of jacks under each front wheel, turn lock to lock... Let one jack down so one wheel is full extention, turn lock to lock....jack up front wheel that was down and let the other jack down so wheel is at full extention, turn lock to lock.....This should give an idea on full range of motion.

If it hits anywhere during the above, determine how bad and fix if you think it is needed.

Tom

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

Its all gonna move up and down together... just check the clearance from turning like beaner said.

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Mine are that close.