Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tie rod bar clearance?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frenchy Dehoux, Nov 5, 2012.

1. I have been reading in other post issues with the tie rod bar resting on top of the wish bones and wanted some of your opinion on what you have done to take care of this issue. I was planning to cut a portion of the wish bones to give it enough room for the tie rod bar to travel side to side and not rubbing anymore. Let me hear your what you have done.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

2. 117harv

117harv

Heat the steering arm and bend it up a 1/4" or so.

3. fatboys69

fatboys69
    from Tennessee

Is there enuff room to flip it to the top side ??

4. Crankhole

Crankhole

Heat and bend (looks better) or notch the bones. I've seen it done both ways.
    Make sure you have enough tie rod to frame clearance either way.

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Bend the steering arm a bit.

6. Falcon

Falcon
    from nevada

You could cut notches in the rod and cut out the bone enough to set a power steering gearbox in it (a very small one). ?

7. Falcon

Falcon
    from nevada

Hydraulic of course with very long gear....the Rube Goldberg method

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: WTF ?

9. Falcon

Falcon
    from nevada

Two hyd. steering boxes on the bones with matching teeth on the rod....haha...might work all the way to the ditch?

10. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I did exactly what your wanting to do because the steering arms were chromed and I couldn't heat them without redoing the chrome. The wishbones were in need af repair anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. roundvalley

roundvalley

I like FATBOYS answer. Why not just turn the tie rod over to insert from the top??

Easy to put a 7* taper half way in the arms.

12. chop32

chop32

This might work, but sometimes top mounting puts the tie rod too close to the frame rails or (in my case) the harmonic balancer.
    One thing to remember, the tie rod and the wishbones move up and down in conjunction with each other so very little clearance is needed. That being said, cycle the steering from lock to lock because as the tie rod moves side to side it also moves front to back and the clearances could change.

13. Well I decided the easiest way to do this was to have it on top see the pictures from my original post and pictures I took last night. Now I have plenty of space.

Thanks for all the help on this subject.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Frenchy, do you have the weight of the engine on the front end right now? The reason I ask is that if you don't, with the tie rod above the bones like that it's very easy to run out of suspension travel real quickly as soon as everything settles. I really recomend rethinking this one and just heating the arms to a dull red and bending them up just a 1/4" or so and going back to the tie rod down low. Better deal, trust me.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Tinman...That is the cleanest transition I've seen in a wishbone. (Graceful aesthetics whilst setting caster, then clearance for tie rod...Excellent!)

16. Thanks

I am going and wait as you mentioned until I have the engine and trans in place and than see where I am sitting and make these adjustments. Thanks for the heads up.

Frenchy

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  17. Damn nice attention to detail.

Attached Files:

18. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

19. The other question I have how much of the thread from the tie rod end should be in the tie rod tube to be safe.

Frenchy

20. 117harv

117harv

I like them whith just 2 or 3 threads showing past the jam nut, the closer the end is to the tube the stronger it will be.

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup, harv nailed it! Harv, what happened to your avatar?

22. 117harv

117harv

Yes bending the arm up seems to be the simplest solution. Avatar, looking for a new one.