Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ticking Lifter Packard Straight 8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Piston Farmer, Aug 4, 2013.

1. So I just bought a 1951 Packard 200, Has what I believe to be the 288 straight 8, One of the lifters is ticking loudly. I pulled the cover on the side and I can see most of the valves moving freely and spinning . What looks like the intake valve on cylinder number 2 is not spinning but I cant really hear if that's the one that is ticking. I'm not sure what I should do. I don't really want to pull the motor out if I can fix this in the car. Any Packard guru's know what I should do?

2. Is it solid or hydraulic lifters? If solids it might just be a matter of adjustment. If hydraulics, and the engine has sat without running for an extended period, it may have a sticky lifter or valve. A bit of running and driving with a couple of fresh oil changes and it may clear itself up.

If you're trying to narrow it down to a specific valve you might try inserting a feeler gauge between the lifter and valve stem while idling. Maybe just a .005" or .010" blade. If that changes or eliminates the ticking that should narrow down your search.

3. They are hydraulic, and your correct it sat for quite awhile. I'm gonna try the feeler gauge if I can narrow it down then I can focus on it

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If it has been sitting for a length of time the noisy one may have been open and is now stuck in the colapsed posistion. If you can determin which soak it with spray brake cleaner several times. Add a quart of Marvel Mystery oil and let it run for at least a hour letting the engine get thurly warm. You may need to do this several times. Good Luck.

5. Yeah I dumped some seafoam in it.

6. dtracy

dtracy

Get a short length of hose or flexible tubing and listen to the valves individually. The ticker will be heard loud and clear.

Dave.

7. txturbo

txturbo

seafoam is not the same as Marvel Mystery Oil. Buy a quart.....half in the oil and half in the gas tank. Drive it around and get it good and hot. Shut it off and let it sit over night. If its just a sticking lifter.....MMO will take care of it.

8. WDobos

WDobos

I have had a 1948 Packard in our family since new. I had that same noise(problem) a couple of years ago. Take the right front tire off and remove the inner fender panels to get a straight shot at the side pans. After you remove them you will be able to see the valve that's not moveing because it's stuck open. There is a lot of meat of the valve stems below the spring and retainer. You will be able to get a pair of vicegrips on the valve stem. Using a good pentrating oil spray the valve and try to turn it back and forth. It should break lose after a while. I used wd40 once the valve came lose, started the engine and used a whole can spraying all the valves the insure there were no more that might stick

9. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

From memory, 288's are solid lifters. The 327's are hydraulic. I had a sticky valve in a 288 some time ago. At certain temperatures, it would stick open. After a new set of guides and springs, I figured out the problem was the gas tank. The top had rusted out, the tar insulation had fallen through and was dissolving in the gas. The gooey mess would stick the valves in their guides.

10. These are hydraulic, now I wonder if its just sticky valves from sitting.

11. Tick, tick, tick! Great idea on removing the side cover and watch to valvetrain in operation. Change oil and substitute a qt. of ATF and see if that helps. You can also feed a qt. down the carb while running to clean off the valves. do it at night because it's gonna smoke for awhile.

12. tried it in the oil, not much change they all seem to be moving and I got in there and can turn them with some vise grips some feel pretty tight. I guess the next step is to try atf down the carb tomorrow night.

13. inthweedz

inthweedz

I'm not sure if you have a lubrication additive product called MBL8 in the States, its in a small plastic bottle, and only about 1/4 full.. We use it over here in high Kms,Japa motors, that have noisy hydraulic lifters. There are mixing instructions on it and it is mixed with the new oil at oil change time.. The clatter of the lifters usually disappear within 5 - 10 minutes after startup..

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  14. So the lifter for number 3 cylinder exhaust valve is not pumping up. Only way to get it out is to pull the cam. Anyone ever fixed a hydraulic lifter in the block? I'm guessing the check ball is stuck inside of it.

15. Chris it sounds like lots of work and you could give the guys at Delta cam a call and they might have some info on fixing that lifter. Good luck.

16. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

I have done this with several vehicles with good luck. My wagon ticked for about 600 miles before quieting (hydraulic lifters).

Run it more!