Register now to get rid of these ads!

History THUNDERBOLT DRAG STRIP Orange Park, Florida

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jangleguy, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Al McDonald

Al McDonald

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I looked on google maps. It looks like the runways are in alignment with the current Jacksonville Naval Air Station. Some runways have been eliminated but evidence remains. The old article shown in the photo says the strip was 15 miles south of Jacksonville, but it looks more like 5 miles.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

I was going to Thunderbolt in the mid '60's. I think I remember Ernie Strickland. Did he haul the Dodge on a truck with a steep ramp on it? The car I remember was light blue as was the truck. I thought it was a later model than a '52. The guy I am thinking of had a rather serious case of acne at the time and his girlfriend maybe wife was always with him.
    I saw Stan Mizell's Dodge Challenger in the video. It was driven by Ronnie Robinson who later owned a Plymouth dealership in Green Cove Springs. That Dodge spent many years atop a pole in front of Stan's Performance Engineering on West Beaver St. Good old days as I remember. I am going to be 76 on Saturday, so Thunderbolt was my go to place when I was in my mid 20's.

hotrodA likes this.
  4. Thanks, everybody. Jangleguy [Scotty, my brother] has finished his book some years back. He's no longer posting on the HAMB but he thanks everyone for the info.