Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Thunderbird Seats in a Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jake Sippl, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Hey guys. I'm sorry if this question has been posted before, but I couldn't find a thread on it anywhere. I recently got a pair of seats out of an old T-bird. Don't know the year exactly. I'll upload a picture of them when I find one. But I'm wondering if anyone has made them fit in a Model A coupe. I took measurements, and I think its going to be pretty tight. I can always mock them up and see for myself, but I figured it was worth an ask on here to see if anyone's done it, and how it looks. Thanks in advance!

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I help add newer buckets to a buddys 30A sedan,I don't know what they came out of. We had to remove some side trim on the sides of seats that were next to each other{Not seen anyway} to get them closer together by near 3in. better. Height n angle was key adjustments to get right as much as front to back. Made custom floor bracket.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

5. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Nice buckets ! There’s about 41” give or take to work with depending on the height of the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary likes this.
  6. I think I remember that the interior door panels were 42" apart at the front edge of the seat in my '31 Victoria. My buckets were quite small, out of Triumph Spitfire. They fit the car fine. Most drivers today might find them not wide enough, but I'm a little guy at 5'10" and 160.

Phil

Dino 64 likes this.
  7. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Jake whats the overall width of your seats together like in the picture above?

8. verde742

verde742

I like 'em,

make them work...

9. catdad49

catdad49

I love those seats, but they need to be about 20" across at the widest point. Many variables, the body tapers top to bottom and front to back. Best of luck, Carp.

OLSKOOL57 and Dino 64 like this.
  10. I think you would be a lot happier with early Mustang buckets.

11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yep, and this is about the max. 18" is better if you don't want the seats mashed up tight against each other. <18 is even better, will allow you to have some seat belt extensions from the floor up in between the seats, and allow the seats to slide back & forth without rubbing.

12. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

I'll measure them when I get home tonight, and post up.

13. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

That's what I'm thinking honestly. My dad's been talking about it and we've kinda been looking on Craigslist, and FB marketplace. These T bird seats aren't going to be for naught though. I found an early falcon center console and I think we are going to mount them in my dad's 64 F100 stepside when we build that next year.

catdad49 and pprather like this.
  14. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

I think my only hope at this point of them working is if I keep my doors without door panels in them (they are currently panel-less). The car will be going in the Detroit Autorama this year with my club, so I want something more period for it than the crappy ebay seats I have in it now. I think mustang seats are going to be the long term solution, as I am dead set on putting bucket seats in this car, as it better fits the 60s look, but these might be a good temporary fix. Idk that's just my mindset as of right now.

15. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I made a one piece frame for buckets so one adjustment to avoid the rubbing , also enable to get them as close to each other as I could . nice looking seats

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

17. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

I built this in the late 60’s. They are 65 Mustang,
    close together, but they worked
    upload_2019-11-4_18-20-0.jpeg