Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thunder Flite Bubble Top T Bird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gene Winfield Rod&Custom, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Gene Winfield Rod&Custom

Gene Winfield Rod&Custom
    from Mojave,Ca

Here are some photos of Thunder Flite built by Dino Arnold, and is now on display at the Ford Worl Head Quarters. After the SEMA show Dino and I re worked some of the body work. I laid out the black before the chrome paint. I wanted to spray the chrome so bad, but its Dinos car and he got the honors. The interior was re done by Randy and Tina at Interiors Deluxe in Mojave, Ca. Also some pics from GNRS 2009 after a few days with little or no sleep. Ahhhh what a good time!
    Dewey

Attached Files:

2. Saw the car at the Detorit Autorama and it was a show stopper for sure. That paint may just become the new flat black, except most probably can't afford it.
    The black stage looks pretty cool also. Thanks for posting the pictures.
    Tell Gene, Bob Nugent said "hello".

3. cool pic's dewey. keep them coming. ........... mark

4. RAY With

RAY With

Hell of a rod. Should get raves for years to come.

5. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I saw the car at SEMA, and was not real impressed with the quality of the refinish. Is that why it got redone? It's a neat car and not bashing, but wondering, since others who saw it after SEMA thought the paint was stunning. Thanks for posting. Stu

6. The black is not a refinish it is the base for the chrome paint.

7. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

The guy who started this thread just stated that he "re-did" body work on the car, which in turn would require "refinishing". So the black is both the refinish and the underbase for the second chrome job (at least the way I read it).

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I love that car.

9. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I'm well aware of the refinish process. I'm just curious as to exactly why it was being redone after SEMA. Possibly had some flaws that needed to be corrected? Stu

10. Maybe. Was the whole finish not great or just some spots?

11. sweet...I dig that thing

12. Gene Winfield Rod&Custom

Gene Winfield Rod&Custom
    from Mojave,Ca

Yes the black was complety re shot. I did myself. We re did the whold car after SEMA, and before the GNRS 2009 in January. Dino also had the interior re done and added the belly pans, and cleaned up the engine bay. The black is the base for the chrome to be put over top. It was HOK base coat black then four coats of HOK Clear.

13. Squablow

Squablow

This thing looks like a Ford concept drawing come to life. Like one of the first sketches for the T-bird design that they couldn't send to production. I love it, I think it's fantastic.

14. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

this car is amazing - I was lucky enough to interview Dino at the GNRS - very nice guy - and obviously very talented as well

15. fast Ed

fast Ed

Very cool car, I was lucky enough to see it at Detroit this year as well. Certainly does look like something out of the Ford concept studio of the time.

cheers
    Ed N.

16. Saw it at SEMA and Again at the GNRS and just want to say "KUDOS" to all that worked on it! Period!

17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Saw it in Detroit. That thing is RAD.

18. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Sweet...what else can ya say!

19. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I have mixed emotions about that car, but it grows on me more & more everyday. Definetely a different breed, and a fine execution, kudos for that.

20. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I recently saw that the car sold at the Kruse Auburn auction (May, 2009) for $235K. Anybody know where it went? Stu

21. The Big M

The Big M

What are those seats from? Or are they fully custom-built? They look great.

22. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

Hi !
    What a fantastic car , Im a traditionalist when it comes to custom cars BUT this is something else , like taken out of Jetsons and the imagination crave it to hover . My dad have a -62 Thunderbird that he is planning to restore all original , got to print pictures of this an sneak up on the wall of his shop hehe ........... my hat of to this spaceship !
    Wolf

23. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Old Thread Lives... The Old Bird is Up here.. Color changed.. But still a Very Cool Piece..

24. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Beautiful Car. That '61-'63 Bird Bodystyle just begs for a bubble top! The Bullet shape is so futuristic and this custom is Awesome.

25. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Ill try to get the pictures off my phone... and get those posted.. It does need a little TLC though from what I could see..

26. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Heres the Current State... our World of Wheels had this near the Back wall,, Sad to see,,
    [​IMG]

The Photo was takin this evening... I knew it looked so familiar..

27. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

I love it !! Awesome bird !!

28. Soviet

Soviet

Why was it repainted? It looked killer in chrome...

29. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Im not sure why it was repainted... theres a few changes on the car that kind of made it look different when I first saw it.. It clicked in where i had seen it before.. The interior looks the same as first done.. the wheels and tires are changed.. there are Breather vents on the sides of the Bubble top.. my guess for cool air to enter inside..