Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thrust line problem.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbo17, May 7, 2011.

1. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

On a Chevrolet truck on much play is there in the real end and axles and lief springs.?

If I loosen all the bolts holding the springs to the rear axle how much do you think I can more the rear end to fix a thrust line problem.

I am using strings to check it side to side and I need to move it about an 1/8 inch. Right now the front of the rear wheels are off to the right when looking at the truck from behind and it is not tracking straight.

Once ever thing is lose how much movement do you think I can get to just move the front lief springs over a little to correct this.

Thanks Jimbo

2. sdluck

sdluck

More info,what year ,is it stock

3. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The year is 1986 and yes it's all stock.

Thanks Jimbo

4. You are limited by the center hole in the spring mounts. That's not the problem, find out what is bent. Use the strings in a "X" pattern on the front and rear axles. Also check to see if the rear wheels match in offset (this will throw you off). Are the front wheels the same offset?

5. spring center bolt is probably broke. did it get hit? or hit something? or get pulled out from being stuck?

6. i can't see how 1/8" side to side on the rear end would make a big difference , unless i don't understand the problem. is the rear just over to one side by 1/8" ? is the rear perpendicular to the centerline of the vehicle or at an angle?

not knowing for sure , i'd take it to a good shop and have a 4 wheel alignment done...maybe they can tell you what's off

7. darkk

darkk

My cousin bought a factory new dodge super van back in the 70's, the right rear spring perch was factory welded 3/4" forward. I set it up on the frame machine at the shop, cut the mount loose and rewelded it where it belonged. Even new stuff isn't perfect.

8. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

1/8th of an inch?
    On a diagonal measure??
    To sprung axles???
    While parked on the shop floor or driveway????

She's beyond help. :)

I just like to count how many fingers I can fit between the fenders and the tires. :D