Register now to get rid of these ads!

THRUSH MUFFLERS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fifty5C-Gas, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

im looking for a set of the old round thrush glasspack mufflers 2 1/4" in/out...any help would be appriciated...thanks,mike

2. prime mover

prime mover

probably sound very similar to glasspacks, they sell them in either summit or jegs mail order. cant remember which.I love my thrush turbos, I have the hush thrush's on a mustang and the cal boss's on my fairlane.

3. shoebox72

shoebox72

They are more commonly known around here as "BEER CANS". the newer style cherry bomb looking ones don't sound as good.

Try an older auto parts store, They may still have the old ones on the shelf.

Billy

4. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Dynomax now owns Thrush. I just looked, and Summit lists 10 different part numbers for them. Look in the exhaust section under Dynomax Thrush glasspacks.

5. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Sorry, just re-read, you wanted 2 1/4 inch. That narrows it down to three.

WLK-24201 24 inches long $16.95
    WLK-24205 31 inches long $16.95
    WLK-24211 35 inches long $25.95

All are 2 1/4 inch and in stock. I'm not affiliated with Summit in any way, I just dig their good prices and free shipping.

6. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

i dont want the dynomax, i want the thrush glasspacks, they sound different, alot better. i know when i was at the rumblers show a guy had a shitload he was selling, i should have bought them there, but unfortunatly i didnt.

7. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I know Thrush are better sounding. They are the Thrush ones. Dynomax just bought out Thrush, that's all. They are called "Dynomax Thrush glasspacks"

8. poncho

poncho

gotta love 'em
    [​IMG]
    dont run anything else..that is...when i actualy have a car. [​IMG]

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If you are looking for someting cheap and loud try the red straight through ones that Northern Automotive sells. $15 apiece and they come in a selection of pipe sizes. I used these on Fuelpumps and Hot Rod Tom's exhaust and they sound good. Besides, aren't you supossed to hear a hot rod before you see it. HAHA!!!

10. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

VonTingler..would you be able to find out how much they are, i'll send you a money order, and can you ship them to me...thanks,mike

11. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

huh,
    do you guys remember those round muffs that thrush had that had the whole outside painted like the decal poncho put up?
    im sure the pait would have just burned off,but they look cool.
    eric

12. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

56olds-ERDY...those are the mufflers im looking for...the paint dont burn off, they have been on my 56 ford pick-up since the early 80's, and the paint is still on them...they sound awsome, i tried those mufflers summit sells, they dont sound like what i want.

13. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

Try to find a set of Purple Hornets. The are the shit and are the best sounding glass pack i have ever heard. Just my 2¢.

14. [ QUOTE ]
    Try to find a set of Purple Hornets. The are the shit and are the best sounding glass pack i have ever heard. Just my 2¢.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought those were Purple Horneys, my $2.00 (inflation) [​IMG] [​IMG]

Summit has the old fasioned Thrush Glass mufflers, or at least they did last summer. I don't recall what they get for 'em but it can't be much.

15. hemi

hemi

Keep an eye out on Ebay. I've recently picked up a set of NOS Thrush turbo-style mufflers myself...30 years old, still in the box.
    Stamped with an Honest Charlie speed shop logo on the box even...

They pop up from time to time, and I've seen the painted round ones on there.

Do not be fooled by modern imitations and off brands, they do have a distinctive sound.

16. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

thanks all...mike

17. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

cool they dont burn off.my brother had a set on his 67 1/2 fairline gt about 12 years ago.i do know where a couple are,but they dont match.one hooks directly to the header and has a regular pipe end.the other one has a regular inlet,and has a turndown onthe exit end.i think one it longer than the other though.otherwis you could just cut the ends off one.the style with the turndowns would be cool ones to use.il check them out to see for sure or if he has more when im down there next.btw the purple hornies do sound sweet.they burn out quick though.i helped put a set on my freinds truck.if i remember right you can put them on backwards,and its like a strait pipe.
    eric

18. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

link...how do the purple hornies sound?...do they have a nice rap?, are they real loud?, do u have them on the right way or backwards?...and thanks 56olds-ERDY, if u can find out i would appriciate it....thanks,mike

19. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

I don't know if this is what youare lokking for , but I hope it helps. ebay

20. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

yea, they have a really nice obnoxious sound to them. We put them in my freinds 53 Olds with a 303 flowing the correct dirretion and mounted them as close to the engine as we could (thats the key by the way to quality muffler rapping with glass packs) and they were loud as shit for being 18" sounded more like 12 inchers. I like em' alot. I've tried cherry bombs, Thrush, Blue knights, Smithys and some generic muffler shop glass packs and for some reason always preffered the sound of those Purple Hornets. But again thats my 2¢.

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

yeah love the purple horneys, bolt em' up to the header collector and made sure they turned outward and on my way i went [​IMG]

22. mstngguy66302

mstngguy66302

i have some purple hornies on my 66 mustang, they are the ones that bolt directly to the headers and i think they sound awesome considering my motor is pretty much stock. they were only $25 apiece out of summit.

23. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

thanks...i guess i'll give them a try if i cant find the thrush i'm looking for, and by the way its going i guess i woulnt find them...again thanks,mike

24. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

i finally found the thrush...had to pay 90.00 for the pair, but i got them, and the car is in the muffler shop now...cant wait to hear them.

25. Shiva69

Shiva69

where did you find them?
    Garth

26. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

i went on ebay, and looked up ended auctions, and i saw a pair that sold, so i emailed the guy, and he happened to have more...they are brand new.

27. truth

truth
    from Boston, MA

Hotrod29 - I was at the Rumblers show - I got that dude's info (the one with a pile of the thrush glasspacks)... if you or anyone else wants it, let me know. He's out in Long Island... I'm sure he's got a shitload left.