Register now to get rid of these ads!

Through the cowl steering help needed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cougardan, Feb 7, 2004.

1. We're using a nailhead motor and there's not going to be alot of room for the steering box so I'd like to see any through the cowl setups. Ways you mounted them, type of boxes that work the best, etc...

Thanks, Dan

2. DrJ

DrJ

I've seen them with the cross shaft and housing sticking through with a sheetmetal "bump" coveing them with the bottom open for pitman arm movement. failrly faired in. OK for a race car, but for a street drive it all year car you'd probably want the body sealed around the cross shaft husing so January doesn't blow in on your clutch knee.
    The ones wit just the drag link poking through and a "scoop" formed around it to boot must be real drafty in the cowl area. fine in July but icy in February. Check some pics of FEDs for mounting ideas, only make them much beefier. Where's that SO-WHAT truck right now?

3. Any steering box that has a pitman arm that turns the opposite way the steering wheel turns will work. We have used a divco box and one off of a early chevy truck.
    Here's a pic of mine.
    DrJ it will be heading your way shortly.
    Clark

Attached Files:

4. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    Any steering box that has a pitman arm that turns the opposite way the steering wheel turns will work. We have used a divco box and one off of a early chevy truck.
    Here's a pic of mine.
    DrJ it will be heading your way shortly.
    Clark

[/ QUOTE ]

Like that one... neat, clean, and functional.. 100% what a hotrod should be!

SO-WHAT, can you show a picture of the other side with the extension on the cross shaft?

(but I'm not heading anyway?...but I do have a couple of them boxes for future ideas...
    and no they aren't worth what they would cost to hip so get one locally for yourself.)

5. Rodshop

Rodshop

Not sure what you are building, but I managed to squeak by the starter with a Vega box. this is a '36 dodge.

Attached Files: