Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Through being cool?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Why is a vehicle's looks so important?

I'm working on something and probably the biggest holder upper is mocking it up to try to make it look cool. I could spend a long time on it and it might never look cool (enough?) to me.

It's a from the ground up and using what I have on hand kind of thing, so it's not about buying an appealing car or making one look cooler.

What if I just took the tact that I don't care, I just want to get it working (serving its purpose), and maybe I'll make aesthetic improvements down the road, with the next iteration, or never?

The only example I can think of is that Chrysler(?) drag car some engineers built, that has wild headers.

2. Considering the amount of time/labor involved to be "all in" on a project, I have to believe it will have "the look" in the end.
    "the look" being my look, not necessarily for the masses..a personal thing (as it should be).

X-cpe, vtx1800, fauj and 2 others like this.
  3. topher5150

topher5150

I'm kind of in a similar situation real tight on budget but have a certain look that I'm going for. My thinking is kind of middle of the road, I'm not going to throw together some turd box just to have something to drive nor am I going to hold my project up to make it a high-end show car that I'll be too afraid to drive.
    I'm building my car for me, and how I want it done, but I also want to be able to look out the window and think to myself that's a pretty cool-looking car.

4. wicarnut

wicarnut

Your vision is what matters to you

-Brent-, VANDENPLAS, AHotRod and 3 others like this.

5. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

6. The best thing I ever bolted onto my car was the license plate...

RMONTY, Matt55folife, Kume and 12 others like this.
  7. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Sgtlethargic, what makes your thinking different from many? You
    don't have to have a showboat but it doesn't have to resemble a beater,
    either. For the last 15-20 years people have been doing what they want,
    or need to at the time, to be rolling. As long as it's not phony patina your
    ride should be good to go (when you think it's ready). The best car gathering
    I ever attended was something called the Hunnert Car Pile Up in Illinois. The
    cars ran the gamut and it was great seeing the states of finished and in progress.

8. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anything we build is a function of our esthetic sense, skill level, time and budget. A shortage in any of those areas requires compromise. Compromise means the end result may not be as cool as humanly possible, but it can still be cool. That ought to be enough for most hoodlums.

9. squirrel

squirrel

Give it a try, see how you like it. You won't know, until then.

fauj, -Brent-, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

IMG_20210307_0001.jpg

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Those are going to be some tough shoes to fill!
    Seems like it would be much easier to work at being "cool"!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    mgtstumpy, wicarnut and WB69 like this.
  12. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

My gauge in life for cars that I have owned and rodded, is this...When I get up in the morning, if the first thing
    I want to do is drive it, then I've accomplished what I wanted and I'm at peace with the world.

BUT, everyone person should consider themselves "Cool". All hot rodders are cool in
    my book! That never goes out of style.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  13. chopped

chopped

Was that called the high and mighty? Saw it in Detroit a couple times. Made to go fast, not look good. Looking good was "color me gone" saw it also.

midnightrider78, aircap and ffr1222k like this.
  14. I wanted to have a firewall on my 27T that had nothing hung on it. Rapidly came to the conclusion that it was a pain in the arse to do and that future maintenance would be bloody awful.

Everything is now where I can get to it.

Sent from my moto g(8) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alanp561 and RMR&C like this.
  15. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Like already said above, if it's cool to you or what you want, then it is. Every car built will appeal to some and not to others.

16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey sgt. Way too vague to even really comment on. Perhaps some pics or concept drawings to give an idea of your direction.

17. If the last thing you do when leaving your garage is look back over your shoulder and smile as you close the door, or as you drive down Main street anywhere and catch a glimpse yourself in the shop windows and you look good...mission accomplished.

High test 63, RatPwrd, hfh and 9 others like this.
  18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What makes THIS car interesting is it's history...it's purpose and it's function over form.
    If you were to build something similar today, for the street, it would probably be considered just a rat rod.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

IMG_20210307_0002.jpg

vtx1800 likes this.
  20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Stop beating around the bush, tell us what you are doing or this thread is more about the 49 Plymouth. IMG_20210307_0003.jpg

stillrunners, VANDENPLAS and alanp561 like this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

IT HAS TO LOOK GOOD, 98% of any vehicles life is spent parked in a driveway or garage, if the hood is closed you don't have to have an engine in it to look cool. Bob

Nobody remembers how fast the Butt Ugly Plymouth went, but once seen it is never forgotten.

hfh likes this.
  22. Spending time and money, yes it should look good and run well, too.
    "The look" doesn't always involve a paint job.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    chevyfordman and mad mikey like this.
  23. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

If you want to enjoy driving while building/improving, then jump in the pool and enjoy the swim. Driving an under construction project is a lot of fun. People will ask what you plan to do next and maybe offer suggestions on where parts exist or alternative ways to do it. The exchange of ideas makes it more fun. When someone has a finely painted and polished car, people are less likely to suggest anything for fear of insulting the owner, but an uncompleted project is a magnet for others just like you.

The one thing I would do is to set down and write down exactly what you want in the car if you could have everything you want. Then I would decide which components are "must haves". No since saving a little money putting something in the car that you will have to change later. By that I mean if you are going to install an engine (eventually) that makes 400+ HP, then don't install a weak rear end that has to be changed later ($$$). Figure which components you need installed that will be "forever" components. The other simplier things will probably change over time anyway. For the most part, suspension and steering parts should be a "forever" choice. ;);)

As for being "Kool", there will always be those that think your car is Kool and those who don't. Actually being Kool is to not give a Sh*t what any of them think.:p

X-cpe, Matt55folife, hfh and 4 others like this.
  24. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

A mans got to know his limitations.

25. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Looks don't matter. Do what you want. Screw everyone else...

Matt55folife and Guthrie1068 like this.
  26. Looking cool is traditional to the highest degree.

27. Made me laugh.

I like the looks of that car.

I have some Model T frame rails I got in the desert; 61 Comet Fordor fenders and front doors from a junkyard; a 37 Ford front axle, two parallel leaf axles; a Mustang II 8-inch (Falcon hubcaps fit on the stock wheels. Maybe I'll save that for the 61 Ranchero.); two wide fives, two artilleries, two spoked, and two TurboCoupe aluminum spares.

If this thing is ever done and legal it'd be for short drives on surface streets, so it'd only have to go maybe 50 mph tops. A single seat would be centered between the doors.

I've been messing with a fender, door and wheels trying to decide which way I might go. Open wheel would be easier to have it look low, but then the cockpit would be pretty narrow and I'm concerned about being T-boned. I don't think it'd look right with the rear wider than the front (kind of V-shaped) to get more space between the rear of the doors (I'd also sit further back). Or if it is narrow but built stout maybe that'd be similarly safe.

Closed wheel looks cool with the 16-inch wide five and the fender low, but suspension and turning clearance come up. I don't know how much clearance is needed between the top of the tire and the fender, nor how much inset it'd need (Maybe have the body wide, maybe narrow the axles). I like the wide five wheels with the hub showing and maybe the artilleries would look good in the back. Or I could see if the wide five rear I think I have could be fixed, then it'd have wide fives all around. Then there's vintage racing wide five front hubs; I believe original wheels fit. You can also buy a new snout, even if you don't really know what to do with it. The spares are very light and tires should be cheaper but they haven't looked good, yet. I like Model A wheels because they're tall and skinny. Maybe 3-1/2" wide fives take skinnier tires.

The 37 axles are mechanical brake and maybe that'd work well for this idea, if the drums are serviceable, and if I gathered the needed parts.

Then there's registration. Maybe I should just go with what's cheaper and easier, see about registration, and throw looks to the wind.

There are no question marks because I don't want anyone to feel compelled to answer a boatload of (possibly crazy-sounding) questions.

Okay, one question: Aren't you glad you asked demanded? :D

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    VANDENPLAS and hotrodjack33 like this.
  28. Budget36

Budget36

Cue Huey Lewis, cool is the rule, but sometimes bad is bad.
    It’s in the eye of the owner, IMO. I’m sure many have built things they thought were cool, others wouldn’t think so and vice-versa.
    One more opinion;). When I see anything old going down the ride I think “cool”. When I see a new Vette, etc, I think “expensive”.
    Get it on the road and make yourself smile.

chopped, ekimneirbo and mad mikey like this.
  29. wandi harry

wandi harry

I think the look is everything, if it wasn't about the look there wouldn't be a hamb and we would all be driving buzz boxes.
    Worth as much time ,effort and money as YOU can afford to get the look you are after.

The37Kid and Budget36 like this.
  30. Budget36

Budget36

This is true. Time, money and abilities all come into play.