Register now to get rid of these ads!

Throttle linkage on a 57 Chevy, kickdown for the powerglide.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Derek Mitchell, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Does anyone have a pic of this?

We have one at the shop, 265 powerglide 4 barrel, that the linkage is disconnected on. We're tryin to hook it up, without a manual, and have no idea how it goes. It has a bellcrank on the coil bracket, a linkage to the carb, and thats it. Are we missing peices? But to get to the bell crank from the carb, the coils in the way.

The bell crank is at the rear of the manifold by the coil, the rod that goes to it almost reaches the lever that goes to the trans, but not quite, and would limit the throttle lever on the carb if connected.

2. visor

visor
    Member Emeritus
    from Missouri

Derek, See if you can round up a '57 Assembly manual.
    You can still buy them also, or maybe someone on here
    has a pic of the page.
    It will show all parts and pieces in isometric drawings
    of every piece on your car.
    Hope this helps,
    Mike
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Vagabonds cc
    missouri chapter

3. squirrel

squirrel

here's from the parts book

Attached Files:

• 57pg.jpg
      57pg.jpg
      File size:
      65.4 KB
      Views:
  4. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Thats real close, but the rod goin down to the tranny isnt like that, it has a second bellcrank ontop of the bellhousing of the trans, and the lever at the top is a horizontal push-pull, not vertical.

Maybe its not 57 linkage, this car looks to be peiced together, badly.

5. squirrel

squirrel

sounds likely, here are some newer ones, 58 and 61-62

Attached Files:

6. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

It looks like the 58, or the first one.

Thanks Squirrel, you're the man, or squirrel. :D

7. I remember something like this when I replaced a 2bbl intake on a 283 with a 4bbl intake with a Q-jet. The kickdown bar wasn't long enough after I installed the Quadrajet, so I had to make an extension piece. I think there's a sliding part on the side of the carb end of the linkage so that the kickdown arm doesn't get pulled until 3/4 throttle or something -- sort of a long slot in the arm that slides over a ball stud coming out of the throttle arm for the carb. I think I remember that the kickdown arm should be pulled all the way when the throttle is wide open. There was a long spring I think that held something to keep the kickdown arm from flopping around. Hope that helps. I'm remembering this stuff from 30 years ago.

But I'm guessing that's why things don't line up -- somebody put a 4bbl on there and the kickdown arm was designed to work with a 2bbl Rochester. The Rochester 2bbl sat right in the middle of the intake, but the throttle for a 4bbl is further forward. Good luck:D

8. The linkage in the picture that Squirrel sent looks a little different than what I remember (what I'm remembering was a 283 in a '67 Impala), so the linkage might work a little differently from what I remember.

But it's probably the same problem that I ran into. If somebody stuck a 4bbl intake on there to replace a 2bbl intake, then that's why the throttle is further forward from where it used to be and that's why the rod doesn't reach (the throttle on a 4bbl is on the front two barrels and not in the center of the carb like it would be with a 2bbl). So hopefully all you need to do is make some kind of extension piece for the arm and it'll work. :D

9. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Rusty, would that have been a aluminium powerglide or cast iron? I think thry are different, but may be wrong.

This is a cast iron unit we are workin on.

Also, should the linkage pull the rod right away or after an x amount of throttle.

10. Mine had an aluminum "powerslide". But I think I remember that the kickdown lever got pulled after a certain amount of throttle. When the throttle pedal hits the floor, the throttle should be wide open, and the arm for the kickdown lever should be pulled or pushed all the way simultaneously (whichever direction it goes with your bellcrank setup). First adjust your throttle pedal linkage so it hits the floor when the throttle is wide open, then adjust the amount of play in the transmission kickdown thing so that it's pulled or pushed all the way. Some throttle arms have several mounting locations for the different arms, so you might have to try different locations if it's trying to pull (or push) the trans arm too far or not enough.

That's what I remember at least. It was about 30 years ago, so you might want to get a second opinion. Good luck! :D

11. A slight correction to my previous post:

12. squirrel

squirrel

here's from a chiltons manual

Attached Files: