Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods THREE SPRINGER , 3 SPRINGER picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bct, Apr 24, 2011.

1. That is a kickarse project! Please do a build thread that thing will be rad when finished. :cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Okay, our service provider at work (elementary school) doesn't allow some pics to open, so I had NO idea of the wealth of imagery that was already posted when I saw this today... WOW!!!

Has anyone else noticed that the front end of this build is using the rear end of a frame... looks like early Chevrolet-

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. This is a trip. I was just talking to someone last week about my three springer fantasies. I love this one and had not remembered it was later turned into Art Chrisman's dragster!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ sucka!

4. NealinCA

NealinCA

I've got me some 3-springer fantasies too. The parts pile is getting bigger. 25 Chevy frame, 27 Chrysler front axle, Whippet radiator and shell, Model A engine, etc. Need to find a decent T roadster body and the game will be on.

Two things about the Franklin vs Chrysler front axles. The Franklin mount above the spring, the Chrysler below. The Chrysler have forged king pin ends that split like a Model T axle. The Franklin has a more compact end...looking more like a ball and socket.

Neal

Neal

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx for the background. Gary

6. bct

bct

a chevy in a ford ....wtf

Attached Files:

Baumi, Lil'Alb, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  7. bct

bct

anyone have a chev rad or a hand pressure pump?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  8. damn good eye! I love this forum, these are fantastic photos and I love it when someone sees something I missed!

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

When I was a kid in the fifties, it was always easy to spot a hot rod. They were Fords with the original transverse spring on the front and a newer rear axle with parallel leaf springs in the rear.

10. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

I have also had 3 springer fantasies. Glad I'm not the only one. Figured there would have already been a thread started. Glad to know there now is!

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Been collecting parts for a while now to build an early style speedster. Though mine will keep the full length frame and run a full length pickup bed(so I guess it's more of a 4 springer). So far I have a 31 Chevy body(4 door cut down), 32 Chevy frame, 51 Chevy pickup axles/springs/brakes/steering/4 speed, 39 Chevy pickup 16'' six lug wheels, a 31 Chevy grill shell, and a '54 235 dressed up like a hopped up 216. It is 3rd in line of current projects, but this thread sure makes me want to bump it up the 1st.

Attached Files:

Spoggie likes this.
  12. That is one rad little "Gow Job"! This thread is what this place is all about.:D

13. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

In reference to another thread on here where there was a statement made that monocle windshields were tradtional on the old race cars, I note that I see mostly goggles, few (if any) windshields and the complete lack of oval glass on brackets should pretty much end that claim.

What great pictures. Makes us really understand and appreciate what the early rodders and racers drove, how the cars looked and the spartan creature comforts. As far as performance, those boys were really on their own...don't know HOW they did it - no VISA cards, and no catalogs.

dj

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. bct

bct

neat project , all chevy so far
    seems real old brass era cars use those windshields.

i'm cutting up a hd w/s for mine ...looks good in my head.

couple more pics mostly body pieces

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb and j-jock like this.
  15. bct

bct

[​IMG]

if you look close on the garrick car there is an extra steering arm on the passenger side ....i wonder if he towed his car this way too....

29EHV8 and volvobrynk like this.
  16. Weasel

Weasel

Absolutely - Henry's transverse leaf spring remains a puzzle to me - an inferior solution complicating a simple answer. I guess it was Ol' Henrys cheapskate attitude trying to save a penny and complicating the hell out of a simple but effective and proven engineering practice. What is wrong with parallel leaf springs, be it quarter or semi elliptic? They work and work well.

That having been said, I love these historical threads on the HAMB - these are the fundamentals of this wonderful hobby/obsession/passion....

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Love this thread!

Spoggie likes this.
  18. bct

bct

19. bct

bct

spreader bar....ignore the temp. tie rod

[​IMG]
    u bolts hubs steering arms
    [​IMG]

spacers to make leafs parallel

[​IMG]

figuring out the clutch
    [​IMG]

j-jock and volvobrynk like this.
  20. flyin-t

flyin-t

'bout 30 years in between pictures.. Best looking 3 springer of all time, IMHO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bct and AHotRod like this.
  21. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Wow, great thread! A+ stuff here!!

22. bct

bct

nice use of the back of a frame on babe.....looks nice too....

anyone got any tips on avoiding bump steer ??, i have some knowledge of wishbone susp. but nothing on parallel leaves.

23. bct

bct

cut up some model a rails for the kick, got my rad hoses in line , kick template ,,,cut the grill down as low as she will go ,too bad about mustang rad,...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lil'Alb and j-jock like this.
  24. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Sonofabitch!!! This thread is awesome!! (GREAT, something ELSE to lust after....!)

25. seatex

seatex

Damn, That Vicky in the next to the last shot is HOT!

26. Gigantor

Gigantor

Wow this thread is inspirational... too bad I traded off a bunch of bits and pieces I had last year. I had the makings for a decent start.

Does anyone know any details about the Hudson powered car(s) from the photos?

27. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Great thread. Glad you mentioned it!

-Dave

28. GREAT to see this thread come back!!!

bct. what front axle and radiator are you using???

Thanks, Bill

29. Greezeball

Greezeball

Nice thread.
    Just one question. Do these three springers have any weird/different handling characteristics because of the different roll centers? And if so what are the set up tricks to avoid any weirdness? Just wondering since every chassis layout has its own peculiarities

30. bct

bct

the axle is a 36 dodge tube and rad is mustang. i would love a more period piece in both cases but it will take some time. in two days i'm off school for ten days and an update will be coming.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011