Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Three speed 1940 Ford Deluxe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by berardgreg, Aug 16, 2021.

?
  1. 1940 ford

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. three speed transmsiiions

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. berardgreg

berardgreg

I believe the second and third linkage rod (don't think it's the first/reverse rod) has become disconnected from the transmission lever. My question is... In neutral what position should the transmission levers be. I was shifting from first to second and the linkage locked up. When I opened the hood I see that one of the linkage rods is only connected to the column and not the transmission lever. Sure could use some help, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Try taking the disconnected rod ad attaching it where the rod is off the trans.

VANDENPLAS, low down A and X38 like this.
  3. Mac VP

Mac VP

The shift rod from your steering column is disconnected from the transmission shift lever down at the trans? Perhaps the little cotter pin that holds the rod and clevis came undone, letting the rod dangle and unable to move the shifter lever on the transmission side cover. That’s an easy fix. If the pin on the lever broke off, you’ll have to replace the lever and that’s best done on the bench. Here’s a link to the parts drawing of the shifter housing on your vehicle.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_trans-pics/01A-7222shifterhousing.jpg

4. I can get a pic of my original frame set up tomorrow if no one else chimes in with a pic.

5. Sorry I forgot to get that today - surprised no one has a pic.......

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully by now you have been under it, seen what the issue is and either fixed it or are figuring out how to fix it.
    It shouldn't matter if the trains is in or out of gear or in what gear to just put the rod back on and put a cotter key back in. The adjustment didn't change. If something broke and has to be changed out then you need to make sure it is in neutral, the shift handle is in neutral and the rods are adjusted correctly.

VANDENPLAS, dirty old man and X38 like this.
  7. Little overcast today but here's a picture with out the rods of a trans in neutral. Both trans levers point towards the front. 20210818_112154.jpg 20210818_111419.jpg

rusty valley likes this.
  8. berardgreg

berardgreg

Many thanks for all of the posts I received. Problem solved. It was the cotter key. How that thing went missing is a mystery. I'm going to install some Porter mufflers and Red's Header in a couple of weeks and I'll post the pictures. Again, thanks for all of your support.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wow! What mess. Time to deep clean that transmission.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Just think... For want of a tiny cotter key, a transmission may have been lost.

"For want of a rider, a horse was lost...For want of an army, the war was lost..."

Just 'think'.