Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods THREE HOUR TOTAL TRANSFORMATION (Dad's Deuce Coupe)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So it has been just over a year since we hit the road with Dad's Deuce. It was a rolling project that quickly got Dad back in the hobby after wrecking his RPU (which we are about to start rebuilding on another thread). The Three Window was a bucket list rod for him and after installing custom flames and "Caledonia Kid" script on the doors he has had a blast with it.

Resized_20161014_201712.jpeg
    But one thing we noticed right away, in fact, at the very first car show it attended, was the shear number of similar rods. I am not simply talking about highboy style '32 Ford Coupes (Of course there are a ton of them)! Even though this car has a really nice hot rod satin black Sikkens paint job and custom graphics, it still seemed to get lost in a sea of matte black coupes. In fact that first show in question, with around 300 cars in attendance, there were 6 other three windows all basically sporting the same look.

So for the past few months we have been kicking around ideas to make the coupe stand out from the crowd a bit more without spending a ton of money on it. We were just about to have it cleared, giving it a killer gloss black finish when I had a brain storm.

20161119_200155.jpg
    Sitting just outside my office in the show room where I work set my Model "A" pick up. It is a cool old truck but basically a stock Model "A" outside of the upgraded old Ford rims and Coker rubber. To be honest, they haven't rolled on the street in almost a year and when I bought it as a full on project, it was wearing a very nice set of Model "A" rims (it will never miss them);).

Resized_20161111_153652.jpeg
    $150 and less than hour later, we had wheel adapters on the rod and the wheels switched over. We absolutely loved the look. But check out the photo below at the difference in front wheel hight! :eek:

Resized_20161111_152938.jpeg
    But even though it was killer old school hot rod look, there was something about the Satin black and flames that didn't quite fit. However I was ready for it. Before we had even ordered the wheel adaptors I photo shopped the wheels on it and gave Dad an idea to finish this little transformation off!

Resized_20161118_181130.jpeg
    Since this is what I do for a living, I found a 3M wrap film that was an absolute perfect match for the wheels and yesterday evening, we started the install.

Resized_20161118_193104.jpeg

Resized_20161118_181117.jpeg
    Here was my plan. Install the wrap right over the current flame graphic. This will serve two purposes. One, if we ever want to, we can simply remove the new wrap and literally in a matter of minutes be right back where we started, a killer Satin Black Rod with Flames. Secondly and most important, is the effect the "over" wrap will have. The flames will still be there but now they are embossed in the new wrap.

Resized_20161118_193118(1).jpeg
    It is an absolute killer look that is going to drive folks crazy trying to figure out how we achieved it!

Resized_20161118_194918.jpeg
    In just under two hours, we were out the door with the bulk of the wrap complete and me searching for a good steak! :cool:

Resized_20161119_120413.jpeg
    This morning we popped back in to do some quick clean up work in the door sill areas and then added the red pinstripe to clean up all the edges and help the newly wrapped panel pop even more. The 5 yard roll of 3M 1080 wrap film cost $125 and we have a quite a bit left. In all this complete transformation took just over 3 hours and cost less than $300! :cool: AND LET ME JUST SAY, the photos really do not do it justice, but I will give you some anyway! LOL :p

Resized_20161119_144549(1).jpeg

Resized_20161119_145736.jpeg

Resized_20161119_145757.jpeg

Resized_20161119_145845.jpeg
    We still have a couple quick near $0 cost additions coming. One is installing the hood (hood only no sides) and we are thinking of painting up a set of stock sbc valve covers to match the wheels and the vinyl etc. instead of the 60s MT Aluminum look in place at the moment. Other than that, she is just about ready for the next round of car shows and I am betting, it will not get lost as easily this time! :D

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    Jet96, czuch, Cosmo49 and 25 others like this.
  2. I like the look,and cost.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

much better - yes, the original look is over done and too trendy. using a wrap certainly is not traditional but, perfect for trying out a new look instead of doing a full repaint and not being happy with change.

czuch likes this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Looks good. The wrap was a great idea.

czuch and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Looks great! IMO it would look even better if you could hide the ignition box.

kadillackid and RonaldR like this.
  6. Oh yeah! It looks like a totally different car. Always wondered how a wrap treatment would look.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

czuch likes this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I dig it! With a hood top I bet people don't even recognize it!

czuch likes this.
  8. Wow, that's an awesome change.

9. Sometimes the simplest mods can make the biggest improvement. ;) The car puts me in the mind of a new pair of saddle shoes... That would be "ass kicking" saddle shoes! :eek: And the gloss of the wrap material is a nice contrast to the satin black paint. :cool:

czuch, jerseyboy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Let me just say, bravo sir! What a great way to freshen up your car and with almost no cost! How good is that?! Great job and good luck in the future

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly. We are going to get it inside and tucked up under the dash this winter.

kadillackid and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Ghost Wrap! Clever idea. Looks a lot better now. Gary

czuch and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Man that's just killer. Great job.

14. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I agree with getting rid of the valve covers for painted ones.

15. Very nice and cheap!! I really like the cream color I am using that color in paint on my build. Hobo Jim

16. Just have the valve covers vapour blasted and rattle can them cream. I'm sure you can find something to cover the ignition unit.

17. Outstanding changes on a hot-rodders' budget. You gotta love it. I'm kinda surprised to see that the flames imprint transferred to the vinyl. Must be a very thin mil vinyl. Nice job.

czuch and lothianwilly71 like this.
  18. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Quick, simple, and a nice change.
    Tony

19. ..............I'm unfamiliar. Please elaborate on the vapour blasting process. I'm sure it's unlike the vapour blasts I occasionally have at night.:eek:

20. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WAY to much time polishing those crazy MTs by hand :eek: to blast them. I just snagged these original script covers this morning.

s-l1600.jpg

21. Bent spoke Kelsey's will make any old ford look good.

22. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

That wrap really changes the look of the car. Looks great. The Kelsey's look good too, but I like the 5 spokes better.

23. It's a combination of water and glass beads. Leaves a great surface for paint. Cheap too. I've used it to get a key for paint on chrome. I'm not sure what it's called in the US but I'm sure someone else will.

24. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Love how the car looks now! Great job.

25. Great job on the wrap. Always amazes me. I can't even wrap a Christmas present.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'd call it a wrap!

jerseyboy likes this.
  27. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Love the new look!!

28. hoop

hoop

Do you ever sleep. I am amazed at how much you accomplish .Looks Great!

29. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HOOP? Did you get an Anglia?