Register now to get rid of these ads!

Three Deuce/Aluminum head combo help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick O, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Nick O

Nick O
    from Ohio

I apologize for asking and I have checked all archieved threads for the info but I just can't find the info I want it so I thought I would ask. I am assembling a SBC 383 and have a Offenhauser 3 deuce manifold and Rochester 2g carb setup I want to run. I bought RHS aluminum heads (part number 12043) 200 cc runners and obviously I did not do proper research before purchasing, my bad. Decked the block very minimally (.008) just to clean up surface. Problem is port alignment on the intake manifold verses the RHS heads. It seems as though I needed to pick a head with a smaller intake port to use this Offenhauser 3 deuce manifold. RHS says in their literature intake ports are in stock location and size is 1.20 X 2.190". It would appear I would need a set of heads with about a 1.90 port height to match this manifold more properly, gasket coverage is extremely close What are you guys running for heads with 3 deuce manifolds? Should i use an Edelbrock 3 deuce manifold vs Offenhauser? i have tried to find the port specs on the Edelbrock vs Offenhauser but I can't seem to find them. I really want the nostalgic 3 deuce look and am not ready to give up on the idea just because I may have not done my research properly, I just don't want to be wrong twice. If I need to purchase parts i just want to make sure I am doing the right thing this time around. Any ideas on a proper set of heads that will match to the smaller Offenhauser intake ports would be greatly appreciated. Iwould like to stay with 2.02 intake valves if possible.

2. cooger

cooger

I have an old Edlebrock c362 manifold w/ 3x2 on mine now-stock 350 heads. Manifold is supposed to fit 327's, 283's, etc. Don't take my word for it, but I'd think any stock type head-not surfaced-would work. I've seen a lot of the old Offenhauser's on late 350's, never noticed the heads though.
    cooger

3. Nick O

Nick O
    from Ohio

Thanks Cooger. I appreciate you reading and responding.

4. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

So the heads have larger ports? I think you would be ok as long as there is enough surface for the gasket to seal. If the ports in the head were smaller than the intake it would really disrupt the flow.

5. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

a thicker gasket or 2 gaskets and a thin aluminum spacer is used for manifold alignment on many race engines, you might be able to use that to help your problem. I have used old stock intakes that way with race ported heads with no problems.

6. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Felpro makes a 1/8" thick intake gasket fortunately, but I can't remember the part number. Most speed/performance shops should carry them. I ran into the same problem after swapping a similar set of aluminum heads with the same Edelbrock tri-pwr setup.
    I first glued the gaskets in place on the heads once I was sure exactly where they needed to be. Next night I installed the intake. No problems yet and it runs great.

Attached Files:

7. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Optimal Offenhauser intake is a 3558 and the same version in Edelbrock is 357. These are the bigger port intakes as the early ones that they both had had the smaller ports like you are describing.