Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thoughts on using anti-seize on lug studs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BONNEVILLE BOB 95, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Terrible80

Terrible80

Always pack my dust covers when I have the front wheels off, a dab of grease on the lug stud never hurt anything.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

ditto.

3. I don't use it on wheel studs because as a fleet mechanic for the last 35 years I've learned to follow manufacturers instructions. When ever I've changed a broken stud, the new one always came with a warning to install new lugs dry.
    I do, however slap a little on the wheel center holes...steel or aluminum. And I always use it on any exhaust parts, including the slip joints on the pipes.
    Yeah, I've had to cut over-tightened lug nuts off studs before and I've also seen overtightened lugnuts [possibly with never-sieze] pop the studs off at the flange surface during use.
    I'm not so sure a little blue loctite is a bad idea...doesn't lube the treads like neversieze but will seal moisture out of the treads, keeping them from rusting.
    Red loctite will require heating the nuts/studs to get loose...a very bad idea if you plan to re-use them.

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I'm a little more careful when it is internal engine torque specs. The manufacturer can recommend whatever they want. They once said orange antifreeze with bars leaks from the factory were good for your car. I think we know how that turned out.

5. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

I use it also on any lawn eqpt. sparkplugs

6. The high temp stuff works great on exhaust pipes.