Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thoughts on the Roundup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KATFISH, Jan 11, 2008.

1. As with anything, change is inevitable - we are not putting on this show in a vacuum, and every year has brought new and unforseen challenges for us to deal with, while trying to balance what people have really loved and responded to about the Round Up.

The breakfast was started when the show first started, and it was just a few hundred folks –the Hula Hut have been great in working with us each year, but it has grown to the point that it is really hard for them to do this. They do not usually serve breakfast, and they have done this especially for us in the past. Now that the show has moved clear across to the east side of Austin, it just doesn’t make sense to send people way over to the west side of town that morning. We are now opening the gates up earlier to the show, so people can have a full day at the Expo Center.

The Town Lake location was really great - we loved putting on the show there - but the limitations of that space were beginning to outweigh the benefits. It was a long sort of island on the lake - only one small entrance for all cars and people coming in and out - which created a real bottleneck, and an ongoing safety issue when you mix the two. The park had no real infrastructure – all power, fencing, staging, toilets, etc had to be brought in and built the day before the show, and broken down and gone by the end of that day. Taking care of the grounds, ensuring there was no damage done in a public Austin park (that was not designed for cars to park on it) and dealing with this somewhat delicate situation with the Parks Dept. was an ongoing challenge. The factor that ultimately decided our moving the show (yes, we had 2 days to move the whole thing) was the weather – if it rains, there is no way the parks dept lets us anywhere near the park. That’s a real problem.

The Expo Center has been really great to work with – has allowed us more flexibility in what we can do out there – safer and easier entrance to the show, since there are multiple lanes going in and out. We were able to do free parking for general admission (at Town Lake – the Parks dept was charging for parking in the lots, not us) Adding things like the swap meet – which I think you guys will really enjoy, and having an extra day out there to see cars, enjoy the swap meet, vendors and see cars is going to be a good thing. Jefe is working on a headliner act right now that will kick things off with a bang out there on Friday night. Trust that we are VERY aware of the operational challenges we have at the new venue, and we will be much more prepared to deal with reducing lines, more porta-potties and lots more behind the scenes details that moving to the new space has brought up.

Congress Avenue has been an area that has given us the most issues to deal with. Like it or not – Congress Avenue today is not what it was 7 years ago – if you’ve been around Austin at all you know that it has EXPLODED with new growth, businesses, shopping, etc – The Continental Club used to be all by its lonesome down there just a few years back, and that just isn’t the case any more. We have no real control over what people do on a public street – the “o/t pedestrians and civilian vehicles” are the people that live and work here, and have every right to be out on Congress Avenue – and of course many of them want to come and check out all the cars and the scene down there that weekend. We have consistently worked with the Austin Police Dept (who have been GREAT and really cool to a bunch of crazy hot-rodders, not every town can claim this), the neighborhood associations and merchants to make sure we’ve done all we can to make sure people are having a safe, good time out there. That said, it is a very public space, and a residential area – and I think we’ve done a good job balancing the needs of everyone involved. Having the Expo Center space – we have been trying to alleviate some of the pain by moving things like registration so that people can actually drive up, park their car and pick up their packets in a lot more comfortable surroundings. I guarantee you if you went right now to go try and park in front of the Continental Club, you probably would have a hard time finding a space. We don’t want to try and force people to go jockey for a spot in amongst Friday afternoon traffic – it just makes sense to move it to where we have the room – and while we’re at it – let people have more time to check out cars out there, have bands, vendors and do the swap meet – adding more to your whole weekend experience.

We’ve never been a show that has listed out all sorts of things that get you disqualified from entering the show – we try to stick to the year cut-off, and encourage more traditional styled cars – I know some shows do this, but this gets into a highly subjective area judging each and every car. Frankly, my aesthetic may not be the same as yours – and that’s fine. I think that a healthy variety is a good thing, and you can always find things to like or new ideas almost anywhere. Its not a super exclusive private party – it’s a place where lots of people who are passionate about old cars are getting together. The whole rat rod versus gold chain, primer versus paint, rust versus billet thing is seems really devisive – I think people have a lot more in common with each other around old cars than they have differences, and I don’t want our show to be making some kind of statement on who is wrong or right. To me, it just isn’t in the spirit of the Round Up.

As for the number of registrants – we have always hit our ceiling and sold out the show – turning folks away, telling them “sorry we’re full” which is a real pain, and for the folks who don’t make it in. a real disappointment. Having more room to now allow the people who want in isn’t a bad thing – and having an extra day at the Expo Center where you can actually make the rounds and see more is also going to be good. I don’t agree that allowing more registered cars in the gates somehow brings the overall quality down. Having more cars to check out at a car show is a good thing, I think – especially when you have more of a chance to check them all out. People are coming anyway – it doesn’t help to make them be outside of the gates.

We really appreciate everyones support – and really – threads like this just prove that people’s concerns mostly are about protecting something that they really enjoy. I think the grassroots way we have grown it has let people feel like they share a real part in it – and that it isn’t just some big corporate sponsored thing. I would ask that you trust that we care more than anyone about the future of the show, and trying to manage growth while maintaining the spirit of what we began. We spend a lot of time on this, more every year – and we do listen to your concerns and try to do what we can to address them. We want everyone to have a good time, and come away with a good experience. I’m sorry if some people are disappointed with some of the changes that have been made, but we do think these things thru and have good reasons for doing what we feel like we need to do. Our main goal is to keep the Round Up going every year, and improve on it if we can. I'm really proud of what a few car guys have managed to do in just 7 years.

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

When we pulled into the venue and went thru where folks were collecting money for wrist bands if you kept going straight, just past the entrance for the "show cars" to pull in, was a parking lot on your right. Thats where we parked. We got there first thing in the morning so I imagine that if you arrive later in the day you just might have to park in a field or something?

3. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Just wondering if one of the restaurants or stores had staked claim on that yet. I know Cupcake is there now.

So the swap meet is Friday when we pick up our registration, but the actual park your car in a spot show is Saturday?

4. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

Yep....the show is changing, growing, evolving....whatever. Festival Beach had a cool vibe to it, dust, wind, etc. I understand moving the show last year due to conditions beyond the Kontinentals control ( did i just say that...those guys rock :D ) But the show had a different feel. Not necessarily worse...just different. The Congress scene will be addressed by the powers that be in Austin. One thing to be said for last year..from what i saw (and remember) it was pretty much self policing. As far as the comments about the Continental club being to crowded, smoky or loud.....you're in a world famous venue for Chrissakes....if you don't like it, walk back out the door you walked into. As for me...the Friday night scene on Congress is as much a part of the show as anything.
    As stated by others in this thread..50 bucks for 2 passes & vehicle would ease the pain. 10 bucks isn't gonna break me as far as getting the girlfriend in, it just makes it a little more palletable.

And Tyler... right on !!

5. Rusty

Rusty

This is still the baddest show to attend in the whole world and I have gone to a few. I will go again again and again, it just gets better and better. Every year I walk around with a hard on staring at all the cools shit and talking with all the other cool builders. The last thing on my mind is taking a shit or pissing, I actually probabaly go all weekend with out taking a crap. I may piss but it is usually the very last minute rite before I start dribbling down my leg. This show has seriously grown and they have just about outgrown themselves. Please everyone cut them some slack. These events take time, planning, and alot of hard dedicated free labor time. I dont care if they charge 100 to get in, I will pay it, I just dropped 100 bucks on some argon and flap discs that will be gone in a week. Did I get anything out of it? Nope not a damn thing, Will I get something out of 100 at the roundup? You damn rite I will, badd ass cars, friendship, and a good hard on for some hot rods

On a positive not, I want to thank all the Kontinentals that I personally know and the ones that I no of, and the ones that are behind the scenes making this show happen, it is because of yall that we the builders, the hobbiest, and the familys get to attend such a great event. THANKS!!!!!!

Rusty

6. You must be kidding, I'd skip the show itself before I skipped S. Congress! TONS of old cars, the cops were super cool, nobody got out of line, fighting, vandalizing, etc. like I heard about at Paso.

7. There were several period bikes that I felt fit right in, esp. Nad's Monkey Business mobile and Tim's Sticks and Stones Pan.

There was a Portacan right on the corner across from the Continental.

8. Harris

Harris

I really don't mean to offend anyone, but come on! Your bitching about parking at a major event - bitching about port-a-potties at a last minute venue.

I live in deep south Texas, our local car shows (anything within about 75 miles) have a maximum of 100 cars, most of those imports or lowriders. I've never been to the Roundup, been wanting to go for the past two years.

This year I've arranged to have people work for me, made $500+ worth of hotel reservations, and feel that if half as many cars show as did last year it will be worth every penny.

Sorry for the rant, but the whole time I was reading this thread I couldn't help but think about how spoiled some have become - and wanted to bring to everyone's attention that this is one of the largest events in Texas, and by far the closest show a lot of people have the chance to attend.

If you think it's not as nice as paso, or that viva had more, consider how fortunate you are to have had the ability to compare, and appreciate the show for what it is: a chance for like minded individuals to get together and hang out, talk cars, and shoot the shit.

The Hamb and it's members have been an invaluable tool for me while working on my model a. Here's hoping I get to meet as many of you at the Roundup as possible.

9. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

He wont be skipping it if he rides with me again.

10. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I think this one will be the best one yet. The only suggestion I have for everyone...Pretend you're going to Bonneville. Sunscreen, Comfy shoes, and lots of water . Beatnik...are they gonna let you guys use the "inside" of the expo center this year ( the arena, I guess...not the colesium...)- which would open up alot of area for SHADE. ( Hah! I still remember everyone jockying to get thies car under just 1 leaf of those trees by 1' O'Clock. Texas Sun can be brutal for those unprepared.:D) More portapotties would be great. (nothin like realizing 2 fun things at once...1, you gotta pee...2 you're a mile from where you can do it.)

The South Congress cruise...Man, that's where it's at for me. we all know it's still gonna be big. huge in fact. I have always taken the O/T cars with a grain of salt, as car folks will be car folks. if there's an event, they aren't gonna drive thier econobox to check them out. Seriously...put them in your shoes. I realize we are a much coler group and all, but you can't account for taste.:D Mabey one of these guys will see the light. Come to the darkside...Live La Vida Hotrod.

11. hudson_hawk

hudson_hawk

i agree that we are fortunate to have this show here. going the first year i knew it would grow. after the 3rd i knew it would grow. growth requires change and the changes are rough but needed. i miss some of the little things, but standing in the alley will always be the most fun i have all year, the show and cars are unbelievable, i would like to go to paso but work and money play a part and this is close enough for me.

i really miss the kirk brothers!

12. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

There is much more work than most people realize in putting on the show. Just go and enjoy the weekend....it's worth it.

13. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

What a first class response!

I really look forward to going and thanks to the guys willing to put up with the headache of organizing a car show of 1,000+ cars. It's a huge PITA I'm sure. Sounds like it's gonna be a blast from what everyone says.

My only real complaint is that I will be a pedestrian at a car show. That's my own fault though for not getting something built.

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

If it's the same building I'm thinking of (large white building on the right of the band shell), it was open. In fact there were nice pottys with flush toilets and running water to wash hands in there that I used.:cool:

15. The Arena area was open last year, and will be again this year - that is where the swap meet will be happening, so you can be in the shade as you look around. And yes - there are permanent bathroom facilities there as well.

16. Von Franco

Von Franco

My only word of warning..DON`T PARK ON A FIRE ANT HILL LOL.I did and them little bastards hurt.Other than that, this is the best dam show in the Nation for me, why do you think I moved here for the food lol.

Endsville von yahoo Franco..................

17. SoTxGuy

SoTxGuy

I can't wait. I first went in 05 WOW, Missed 06 hade to go to Amsterdam for work. Was there for 07 and think the bugs will be worked out for 08. My thanks and money goes to the Kontinentals for doing so much work. I want you guys to do two shows a year.

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Ah....they DO....Day of the Drags in October.....:rolleyes:;):D

19. The Shocker

The Shocker

I thought the Congress deal on Friday and Saturday nights was better in past years than it was last year ,(may have been cuz i brought my wife with me for the first time).The burnouts in the first years were fun but i know this kinda got out off hand when it went from harmless burnouts to people draggin half drunk on a busy street in town.I understand this ,so i dont blame the Kontinentals for discouraging it.I dont really like the fact that you cant bring beer into the show on Saturday but you can buy it there for an inflated price.As far as the porta can thing goes ,its cool .I am use to using smelly bathrooms.I work with some of the nastiest motherfuckers in Texas at my job...

20. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Alot of people want the title, but those are the meanest damn locals hands down!:D

21. dgang26

dgang26

I share the concerns about the location -- liked Town Lake much better -- but it certainly limited how many cars could get in

22. Porta-Johns are designed to service a working crew of 10 men for one week, do the math, of course they are overflowing early.

Other than that, everything is COOL!!!!!!!

UNCLEE!

23. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

I flew in from Wisconsin with advice from Bobbleed to come and check it out. He promised that it was one of the best shows that we would ever go to, he was right. I have been to Vegas and the Hunnert car pile-up and neither of them hold a candle to Austin. Just my 2cents. Austin has so much going on for the people of this hot rod scene. I never got the tough guy attuitude that I got in Vegas and can't tell you about the number of quality of cars we saw. I think if you are going to make plans to go to any show this year, If it's not the Cheaters show in Milwaukee....., you have to check out the Lone Star Round-up. Great city with a great club running it. I believe these guys are the real deal, not bullshitting everyone about making money but truly doing it for the love of hot rods...
    CheaterJack

24. Jaker

Jaker

I've been to the Pile-up, Viva, etc.... and Austin is by far my favorite show.

The last time I went Blue Bear made fun of my shirt, and it was still kick ass!

25. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

Nice job beatnik :)
    the only thing I would bitch about is all the advertising ? TV news .
    all the papers, and the radio .
    that`s really bringing a lot of the non hot roders down to congress , and helps plug it up friday and sat night !
    but your right I probably could not get a space down there tonight .
    I do miss south congress and the austin from 10/15 years ago.

26. BLAKE

BLAKE

Like most of you, I miss the old Round Up. Back then, photo coverage of the events almost always included at least a few shots of my cars. Now that the show has grown, no one takes pics of my cars. If I'm gonna pay $100 to bring two cars to the show, I fully expect to see some pics of my cars posted online or (ideally) in print.

I mean, why else would I spend $100 to register and go to all the trouble to drag these stupid things out of the garage...?

It's not like taking pics is expensive, y'know? What with digital cameras and such, it definitely wouldn't be a burden on anyone's weekend to just take a few pics of my stuff whilst snapping pics of everyone else's junk...right? But NO... best I managed from last year was to see my coupe in the background of 172 pics of Ryan's coupe.

Sadly, if I don't see some serious pics/praise of my cars after this year's event, I'll have no choice but to reconsider my willingness to support future Round Ups. Hopefully, the Kontinentals can work to address my concerns between now and show time, making such drastic measures unnecessary... just a damn shame that it had to come to this.

SoTxGuy likes this.
  27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

HAHA... Cute Blake...

Ideally in print? You do know that more people read this site than Rod & Custom Magazine now, right? To fully stroke the ego, you should demand your photos show up on the HAMB.

28. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Blake, You can park next to me this year, it worked for Aussie Steve last year. ;)

29. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

Yup.It worked for me.
    Maybe this year you can soak up some of Ben D,s limelight.

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

:eek: Didn't your "boss" instruct you to call it the "Rod Magazine":eek:

Blake, I've got ya covered sweetheart;)